Did I do a bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I do a bad thing?

I believe everyone here agrees the best way to clean carbs is to dip them. Well I dipped my carbs. Before the dip they were dirty but worked ( open the butterfly and they would snap back). Now after the dip all the carbs seem stiffer. One of them will not snap back at all. The only thing I did not remove was the shaft the butterfly valve is on. If I spray some carb cleaner at the shaft it moves freely untill the cleaner evaporates, then it binds again.

Is there a way to fix this or am I looking for a new set of carbs?

The bike is an 82 gs850g with mikuni bs32

Thanks for any and all help

I don't know anyone who has taken the effort to remove the butterflies & bushings (or whatever you wish to call them) before a solvent dip.

Long ago, I experienced the same thing after leaving a carb body in the stew for a full day. I gave it a little motor oil and let it sit for a day, and it seemed pretty much back to normal as I remember it. I don't know if the oil did any good; I'm guessing those bushings swell up a bit from the solvent, and contract once they're out. I'd bet it was the passage of time rather than any oil that straightened out the binding.

Maybe give that a shot & see what happens.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I'll try the oil, it has been over a month since the dip, so I'm pretty sure time is not going to help this time.

Comment

What did you use to dip them in?

Comment

Berryman chem-dip.

Comment

There is a reason most of us prefer ultrasonic cleaning, it just works better. But I've never seen Berryman's make a throttle stick.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 76_Mike_82 View Post
              Berryman chem-dip.
              Just wanted to make sure you weren't using some silly plastic melting chemical.....yeah, like TKent said never heard of Berrymans causing problems.
              You may want to try a drop of oil at each of the moving points and blast it with the air compressed to force the oil deep into the bushings/ pivot points.
              May help. I've found sewing machine oil is high quality stuff for close tolerance items.

Comment

Having the same issue currently on a set that was rebuilt a year ago and have just been sitting aside. I am going to try a little oil. Not sure if the issue is the Berrymans attacking the bushings or what but I will not be doing 24 hr dips anymore. Most of the time I ultrasonic anyway but sometimes dip is called for. A few hours in the dip and then finish off with the ultrasonic

Comment

I do 24 hrs and never have had any such issues Jeff. If you thoroughly rinse them in water when they first come out, dry with compressor, and then oil all the moving points there shouldnt be a problem.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    I do 24 hrs and never have had any such issues Jeff. If you thoroughly rinse them in water when they first come out, dry with compressor, and then oil all the moving points there shouldnt be a problem.
                    Yeah Chuck, now that I think about it I don't think I properly oiled at the time. Anyway did so today with some 3-1 oil and now it's much better. I'm not convinced the carbs needs 24 hours to do their magic but that's another a topic for another day

Comment

The problem is not the Berrymans solution, it is the carb cleaner. Every can I have ever seen has a warning to not let it come in contact with plastic, or rubber parts. soaking oil into the seals is probably the best best.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        The problem is not the Berrymans solution, it is the carb cleaner. Every can I have ever seen has a warning to not let it come in contact with plastic, or rubber parts. soaking oil into the seals is probably the best best.
                        The 3-1 oil has done the trick for me. Several days later problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                        X