78 GS550 air box. Not mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 air box. Not mine

I ran into a guy who has a 78 GS550 and can't get it to run with pods. I asked and he says he has all the original parts and OEM air cleaner but didn't putt it back on because "it was too hard to put the airbox back on". I know on the 850 it's a piece of cake. I just don't know if the 78 550 is a PIA ?

Thoughts?

I just looked at some pics of the 78 and it looks like it doesn't have CV carbs. So now I'm thinking he just didn't get the carbs really clean or maybe he has other problems, Ignition, valves, point setting. Never worked on one of these these. Says it won't rev above 4500 RPM.

Comment

The 850 is cake. 5 minutes to get the carbs out. The 550 is a bitch. Serious bitch.
      But it can be done if you are stubborn enough and know how. It involves removing inner rear fenders, battery box, pretty much everything between the frame and inventing a lot of new swear words.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No, it came with VM22 carbs, easy to tune for pods if you know how to tune them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          No, it came with VM22 carbs, easy to tune for pods if you know how to tune them.
          That's what I found out. VM22. So without seeing the bike I'm thinking he has other problems. Or simply he doesn't have the needle and the mains set for high speed with pods. Since I have no experience, with tuning smooth bores for pods, maybe I shouldn't be the guy to help. That being said I'm not afraid of putting the stock air box back on. Sure it's a PIA but what the heck. I'm retired now and what else do I have to do?

I already tried to buy it from him but he didn't like the low ball price I shot.LOL

Comment

I like the 550s a lot, but they really don't command the prices that the bigger bikes do. Not running well, not worth much at all unless it is absolutely stunning to look at.

Seriously, if it's not running well it's mostly a parts bike, and should be priced as such no matter which size it is.

Comment

4500 rpm is where the advance is supposed to be open…… the points ones really liked to rust to the shaft. If it's stuck you can raise your offer a bit…..or fix it for him.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

So far he has not responded to my offer to fix so I'm thinking, for now, this is a dead issue. I offered 500 thinking running I could get 1500. I had a kz550 for sale and had a bunch of calls on it. I got the asking 1700. But now I'm kind of glad he didn't like my $500 offer. I mean is looks good in a craigslist photo but so does everything else! It could be a rust bucket with cut and twisted wires all over the place.....Ya never know until you go take a look.

Thanks again guys for sharing your expertise.

Comment

Working...
                X