Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with some problems and questions. (Bike related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with some problems and questions. (Bike related)

Hello everyone.
    Glad to be here. Seems to be a cool community!
    I recently purchased a 1980 450gl from a buddy of mine for dirt cheap. He sold it to me not running, it refused to start after he didnt do anything to winterize it over a nasty Wisconsin winter. A buddy of mine just gave me a hand cleaning the carb and the secondary jets were clogged. There also appeared to be a small metal ring in one of the jets that acted to restrict flow, it popped out when we were cleaning it but we put it back in place. I am having a hell of a time getting the carb connected to the air box. The fittings on the inside of the box slide back and dont seal properly. Anyone have any tips on getting them to sit right? I got the bike to turn over and run, but it back fires alot and idles at about 3k. I assume this is because of a vaccuum leak from the air box? Ill post some pics. Also, simply because of space concerns, upgrading to a pod filter requires rejetting and I am aware of this, where can I find more information on this? Any input is much appreciated!
    Attached Files

gs450.jpg

This is the fitting Im having problems with. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Cleaning these carbs successfully requires more than "hand cleaning" unless you are real lucky. Since you got them off, read this link......

everything that I've read on here, strongly suggests that you get it running right with the stock airbox/ filter before you enter pod territory. Don't go to pods thinking it wll make your life simpler.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Very helpful link. Thank you! The previous owner stated that the carb has been jetted for an aftermarket exhaust. I cant confirm or deny so I would go about the process the same still I presume? And can I buy the seals for the air box anywhere? Or would I have to buy a new air box?

Comment

Try Parts Outlaw for new carb to airbox rubbers. You'll be amazed how easily the airbox will be to put on. The old ones get hard and shrink over time.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Awesome. Looking right now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Comment

IMG_0405.JPG

Hey guys,
              So I got the new intake gaskets in place and sealed up well... I put everything back together after charging the battery and I accidentally touch the two nuts pictured with a wrench and sparks go flying... All the lights work when the bikes ignition position is in the on position. When I go to start it up, none of the lights work and the bike will not crank. Im hoping its just a fuse or something but does anyone have any input? I didnt have time to keep playing with it, but will be today. Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Comment

Those two 'nuts' are the terminals on the starter solenoid. One of them is connected directly to the battery, be VERY careful with that one. The other one is connected to the starter. When you push the starter button, there is a mechanism inside that bridges between the two terminals and powers the starter.

Check the fusebox, you might have blown a fuse, if you have no lights. When you DO have lights and the starter button still might not work, be aware that you need to pull the clutch lever to use the starter, unless someone has bypassed that "safety" system. (Many of us do.)

Comment

Thats kinda what I had thought I was looking at... Thank you very much, definitely cleared up my predicament. Ill get back to it soon and let you know if I can get it to turn over!

Comment

Make sure that "all" the electrical connections are clean and make good contact. It looks like the stator wires have been taped, that would make me suspicious and I would take a look. Look for signs of over heated wires and connectors in the process. Use dialectic grease when plugging in wire connectors to help prevent corrosion. Oh and start with a strong charged battery.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Interesting development... I was looking for the fuseblock and simply could not find it. I spent like 20 minutes completely confused and dumbfounded that this thing wasnt anywhere to be found and I couldnt find any images of its location on google. After a bit I found a video that showed the block and I realized.... I dont have one. lol The previous owner must have bypassed it. Now Im assuming the starter solinoid is fried. The lights do not work when the ignition is in the run position but everything else works when it is in the on position. Any input? Thanks in advance guys.

. IMG_0437.jpg

Comment

Any input guys? Looking to get her running as soon as I can.

Comment

One last bump for opinions. havent had time to play with the bike recently.

Comment

Don't you have a service manual? Surely the manual has a wiring diagram which would show whether or not there is a fuse box.

I looked in the parts fishe and don't think there is a fuse box. That while plastic tubular thing in your photo is a fuse holder. That's the closest thing you will get to a fuse box unless I'm mistaken.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

WOW!!!

Six weeks into this discussion (my first time seeing it) and nobody has noticed his bike?

Originally posted by Ma1ice View Post
                              I recently purchased a 1980 450gl ...
                              I don't think Suzuki ever made a 450GL. There was a 450L, for sure, and even a shafty 450, the 450GA, but that was from '82 through '85, not '80.

Most of the advice given has been good, but the statement of what bike is 'under the knife' is questionable.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X