Help! Carb assembly issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Carb assembly issues.

I have recently received a 79 GS850G for free with title. I decided to start working on it this weekend. Long story short the bike was in pieces when I received it, I am not an expert on carbs and all 4 are apart. I have cleaned and put new o-rings on all parts. What I have run in to is the carbs are not numbered and I have know idea to determine which carb is 1 - 4. Any suggestions would be helpful.

carbs 2 & 3 will have tabs on both sides of the throttle linkage to attach to the other carbs. carb #3 will have the bracket for the throttle cable to hook into, and that will go between carbs 2 & 3. carb #1 will have a tab that hooks into carb #2's throttle linkage, and carb #4 will have the same that hooks into #3, but no tabs on the other side, just e-clips. if you look at the carbs from the airbox side, the BIG side, it will go 1, 2, 3, 4. the small end is what plugs into the cylinder head. here's what the carbs look like all hooked up from the airbox side

Comment

There is an excellent tutorial on Cliffs site with pictures
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Wrong carbs, a '70 should have VM carbs. #1 and #4, the fuel passage is only drilled to one side, that is the inside. #4 has a float bowl vent, #1 does not. Of the other two carbs, #3 is the one which has the vacuum port which is drilled through to the carb bore, #2 is the one with the float bowl vent..
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the help I have got the carbs put back together now and everything seems to be in order.

Comment

Hi

What to I connect the two ports on either side of the carbs (between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4). I've the fuel going into the middle section but am at a loss.

If I blow through the two ports, fuels comes out of the little brass jets on the air intake side.

Thanks.

Comment

The two ports that you describe are vents and should have a couple tubes off them that leads back behind the engine in case of overflow.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment