Different sized main jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different sized main jets

My carbs on my 80 GS550E were super nasty. I watched several youtube videos and the gs forums step by step. I tore them all down and dipped them. I am now reassembling them and I noticed that the 4 main jets are all different sizes. I of course did a bad thing and assumed... I assumed all the jets were the same size when I disassembled them. Now I don't know what carb each jet goes in. The sizes I have are 97.5, 97.5, 75 and 70. I'm lost now. I looked at the pilot jets to check sizes on those but I could not find any markings. I'm hoping they are all the same sizes. It also looks like someone down the line put anti seize on the main jets. The ends seems to have gunk all over the end of the jet. I will just order new jets but what size do i try first? Help me out I'm stuck.

If your intake and exhaust is original, use the stock sizes. Stock main jet is probably 92.5. If you never ride it at lower elevations, you could go a size smaller, it will run better up at high elevation but if you ride it down at lower elevations you will need to rejet it. If you are using something other than stock intake you will have to experiment to get it right.

I'm guessing someone swapped carbs at some point, there is no reason to have a range of main jet sizes like that. I'd check carefully, there may be other differences.

The pilot jets are marked on the sides.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tkent is correct 92.5 is stock main jet. Pilot is 40 stock. Elevation in OP's neck of the woods is about 4500' give or take. I agree on going back to stock and going from there unless you have pods or an exhaust (or both). Team Wild your bike should have BS32SS carbs so the jets you need would be n100.604-92.5 and bs30/96-40. I usually order my jets on Amazon but there are several other choices, such as Z1Enterprises, jetsrus, etc. Good luck getting your bike going.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am between 4000 to 5000 ft in elevation. I will look more closely at my pilot jets to see what they are. I have stock air box and exhaust so all should be fine there. I finally got all the super small choke tubes cleared out and I have one more float bowl tube to to get cleaned out. All this after they have been dipped for 24 hours each. I hope I can get this thing going.

Comment

Working...
        X