Carb dip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb dip question

Howdy - I have my carbs completely disassembled with the road gunk cleaned off and am ready to dip them (Berryman). Before I do, I'm wondering what the best way to clean the brass parts is. Dip them too? Something else? All help appreciated. Thanks!

Yes.

Do you have a copy of the carb rebuilding guide? It's a very good resource to follow
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Be sure to do the water rinse. I skipped that step and have to re-dip the brass stuff because it got some kind of buildup on it.

Comment

I have a guide written by Paul Musser I've been using.
        I'm planning to dip everything for 30 min or so (nothing seems to be very dirty), rinse by dipping in 2 different water buckets, blow out all the passages, then spray with carb cleaner.

Comment

30 minutes too little.
          Find a smaller rectangle container that fits 2 carb bodies. Do 2 at a time , 4 hours minimum. No need to rush ...let the product do its work.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipperyPete View Post
            I'm planning to dip everything for 30 min or so (nothing seems to be very dirty), rinse by dipping in 2 different water buckets, blow out all the passages, then spray with carb cleaner.
            That's exactly what I do, except I let them soak for 24 hrs...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Think you're supposed to spray with carb cleaner then air.

I dipped for 24 hrs, then rinsed in water and cleaned. I still had idling issues on 2 cylinders. Months later, redipped them for 3 days and found "gunk" in the Berrymans tray. Rinsed and cleaned again, this time knowing how the pilot system works. Hoping this does the trick.

The bike ran when I got it but a 24 hr dip didn't clean the carbs sufficiently. 30 minutes is a joke IMO. If I ever get another bike, I'm dipping for 48 hrs at least. Would have saved me 6 months.
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yes, the directions on the can do say to dip for "15 to 30 minutes". However, those directions were likely written when the chemicals in the can could actually do the job in that amount of time, but the chemicals have changed, and the directions have not. Simply substiture the word HOURS for the word MINUTES in the directions and you will be fine.

Follow that all-day soak with a rinse in the hottest water you can find, then a few sprays of carb cleaner through all the passages (don't forget your safety glasses), then finish with some compressed air to clear it all out.

Comment

Some carbs take longer than others, how thick is the crap in your float bowl?
                  The trick is that when you spray carb cleaner through the passages, make sure it comes out of the same places in the same patterns on all of the carbs. If one of the tiny transition ports under the throttle plate is clogged for instance, you will see it only if you are looking for it, and if you compare it with the others. Same with the holes in the choke feed tubes, and all of the other passages. If one is different from the others, it isn't clean yet.
                  Sometimes you will actually hear that "blowing a loogey" noise come out of a carb when you spray.
                  Instant gratification.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'll soak everything at least 24 hours.
                    The previous owner must have done this not too long ago. Everything is relatively clean already.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipperyPete View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies. I'll soak everything at least 24 hours.
                      The previous owner must have done this not too long ago. Everything is relatively clean already.
                      If it's ridden a lot they stay clean. It's only from sitting that things clog up.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not to mention that there are passages on the insides of your carbs that you cannot see; don't just base your opinions of them on the outsides.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                        X