Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging down, jet sizes?

Hi all,

First time posting but I have been reading a lot. I have been riding for about 4 years, mostly street bikes. I bought a 1982 gs850 for $200 and it's been a working progress. So far I have changed the petcock, coil packs, plug caps, plugs, cleaned the carb throughly and did a paint job. The bike has a straight piped exhaust and pod filters, the main jet is a 115 and the air jet is an 80 and I am not sure how to find sizes of the other jets or if there are any.

I finally manages to get it running and went on a few test rides, it idles fine, exhaust pops occasionally and shoots a fire ball here and there, bike bogs out from 2500-4000rpm then hits 5000rpm and rides nicely to redline.

Bike has 44k Miles on it and doesn't feel like it, it also has an inline fuel filter that I installed.

My questions, how to fix the bogging down? And what are the recommended jet sizes for the pods and straight exhaust.

I know I have to sync the carb on the bike, for now I did a bench test until I get time to do one, I also have to change the seals from the carb to the motor from what I have read, but I don't have any air leaks from what I can tell (no idea of history of previous owner)

Thanks in advance to anyone that gives positive input.

DynoJet has a kit for your bike. Their kit #3306. You can find it on Amazon for $116. Kinda sucks when you have to get a jet kit for half what you paid for the bike but welcome to bike life. Info on the product at:

I have installed two of their kits and it's easy and the bikes both run great. The kit includes proper needles in addition to numerous jet sizes and instructions as to which to use on your application. It's not worth chasing your tail when they've already done the research.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Seems simple enough, I will go to the bike shop today and see if they have this kit, seems like it is pretty common. I will start with the 165 and see if that works for me.

Any my tricks to draining the gear oil? I can't seem to find a drain for the secondary drive, I found one for the final but cannot find the main one. I have a small oil leak and I think it is from the previous owner overfilling the gear oil, it is wayyyy past the screw oil level hole and fluid is black.

Comment

Here is the guide for changing the gear oil.

Comment

Working...
        X