No announcement yet.

Flooded carb in PRI, now gs450 won't run well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which 1983 GS450 do you have? The E was quite good looking in my opinion, and was peppy according to the magazine articles I have read on it. I've looked for them them advertized, but all the ones I have found were cosmetically too rough for me, and mechanically suspect as well.

How long did it run well? Here are some things you should know:

The float valves in the carbs should have prevented this if they were working perfectly.

it is possible for foreign material to enter carbs which are clean, if there is foreign material like rust in the fuel tank. This is pretty common when bikes don't get used. I once cleaned the carb on an old rotary valve 100 single for a guy running an RV Park I stopped at. His kid had a blast riding it all over the park for about 20 minutes, and it quit. I pulled the filter bowl off of the petcock and it was packed with rust.

You really need to have a look at precisely what you are dealing with here.

On another note, I just got my 1978 GS1000E going this week for the first time in over a year. The carbs had been drained for storage. The two inside carbs leaked through the overflow tubes. I rapped on them a couple times with the handle of a screw driver. This will often correct a stuck float. In this case it did not work. I ended up draining those two carbs twice each, which apparently flushed out whatever was hanging up the float or needle valve. They are not leaking now.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, JRHemmen! I took the carbs off this weekend and ordered carb and intake o-rings from cycleorings. I noticed my airbox to carb boots had pry holes on the insert portion on the airbox side. Also, that airbox is something else! Do they build the bike around it???

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        How long did it run well? Here are some things you should know:

The float valves in the carbs should have prevented this if they were working perfectly.
        This right here helped a bunch. All the posts I read focused on the consequence of leaving the bike in PRI, none really mentioned what SHOULD have happened. I got the carbs off and will be taking them apart sometime this week. The bike was running well when I bought it. Like I mentioned there was a bunch of work done to it. I looked at the bike a couple of times and each time it started, idled and ran well. I had it for about a week but I had to park it because I was having issues with the title. I thought I turned the petcock off but really went to PRI. The rest is history. I also need to change the oil again because it still smells like fuel. Stinks because I put the nice Rotella in there... Anyway, thanks for the help and friendliness!

Comment

Working...
        X