Have you ever seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever seen this?

Ok, so I used to be on this forum. I had a gs550 that I could never quite get right but you guys were very helpful and cool. Then I bought a house and decided I couldn't have two "fixer uppers". Just last week I found another GS. This is a 850 shaft drive. I have always wanted to go on a motorcycle tour. This bike seems really clean and well maintained with a new stator and a clean title and it was cheap $750 because it flooded and died once it warmed up.

My friend came by yesterday and we pulled the carbs off. (much easier on the 850). Look what I found! These are the two outer boots from the airbox. Have you ever seen this?

Airfilterboot.jpg

They are both melted! The Diaphragm was frozen, which is why it was flooding. We cleaned the carbs anything else I should look for?
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Yep, seen it a number of times. Usually due to back firing into the airbox and igniting. Replace all of the boots and do a complete strip and dip of the carbs. Don't forget to get them synced properly after the cleanup.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Looks like the ill effects of the over use of spray carb cleaner or starting fluid.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Seen a few like that. Congrats, you found a great deal because of a simple problem with an easy fix.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What is the Aussie starter fluid called....Start ya Bastard?
          Frozen diaphram and burnt manifolds are serious neglect. I would check the valve clearances as well.
          Welcome back.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks! what causes a frozen diaphragm?
            1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Frozen diaphragm? Do You mean a seized slide? If yes it is a a very dirty and corroded carb
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
                Thanks! what causes a frozen diaphragm?
                You bought the bike in New Orleans?

Any chance it's a "Katrina bike"?

Comment

Some times the slides will become glued down inside the carb bore from gasoline varnish. If that's the case then heat up the carb body to soften the varnish and the slides will come out. Keep chemicals off the diaphragms as much as possible.

Regarding those melted boots, that's the first time I've seen the evidence. Like the others have said it's most likely the effects of spray ether.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It's from Maryland got a Maryland title and everything. The guy just moved here and couldn't find a job and sold the bike.
                    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone. What is the part number for those boots? I am a bit confused at looking at the diagram
                      1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X