Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarro problem

1982 GS1100G. 100% stock.
    #2 cylinder not firing. Have good spark.
    Took gas tank off.
    Hooked up external gas reservoir and plugged vacuum line.
    Started and runs perfectly.
    Took the time to adjust air / fuel mixture and sync carbs while the tank was off.
    Runs like new with external gas reservoir.
    Put gas tank back on. Made sure everything connected correctly.
    Start up. Cylinder #2 isn't firing again.
    Tried running it on reserve as well as prime. #2 doesn't fire.

Anyone??

Sounds like your petcock is dumping fuel through the vacuum line into the #2 carb making it too rich.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Check the routing of the plug wire to #2. Might be shorting on the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Is there a fix for that?

Comment

Spark is 100%

Comment

Actually... I did remove the vacuum line while it was running to make sure there was vacuum. (There was) No fuel was coming out of the petcock.

Comment

Okay need some of the long time members to chime in on Jim R. I've been chatting with him on Facebook and not come to a solution to his problem yet.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Has he checked for spark on the bad cylinder with the tank in place?
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Yes. Spark is good.

Comment

Test thw petcock.
                    Put the petcock in the run position. Add a small piece of tubing to the petcock vacuum port and give a little suck on it. If gas starts flowing in a nice stream and then stops when you stop sucking on the tube then your petcock should be fine. If the gas just dribbles out or does not come out at all then you have a seriously blocked petcock.
                    Simple test to see if you are getting fuel. Doesn't sound like it.

Comment

That or despite your efforts cleaning the carbs, there is some blockage somewhere in the #2 carb.
                      Just a couple things that came to my mind.

Comment

Have you replaced the vacuum hose? It might have a split in it?

Or maybe a split / leak in the vacuum tap diaphragm?

It sounds like #2 is sucking air through the vacuum inlet rather than through the carbs and it can only be from the above.
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

There's lot's of vacuum through the vacuum line. I'm hoping it's just a clogged up petcock. Emptied the tank. Going to take the petcock off tomorrow.

Comment

Nah. Remember... It runs perfectly on auxilliary tank connected to fuel line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim R View Post
                              Nah. Remember... It runs perfectly on auxilliary tank connected to fuel line.
                              Where did you get the fuel in the aux tank ? Maybe you just have bad gas in the bikes tank.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X