Linking the intake manifold boots.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking the intake manifold boots.....

I think I've seen something on this in the past. What is that deal where you link up the cylinders with little tubes using the access ports in the intake manifold boots. Something about it smoothing out low rpm performance. And on that note, what are those little ports for anyway? Thanks.

It's called a carb sync.

Comment

You connect vacuum gauges to those ports to make adjustements so all cylinders are pulling the same vacuum.

It is recommended to check valve clearances BEFORE doing a carb sync.

Comment

Originally posted by Caferacernoc View Post
        I think I've seen something on this in the past. What is that deal where you link up the cylinders with little tubes using the access ports in the intake manifold boots. Something about it smoothing out low rpm performance. And on that note, what are those little ports for anyway? Thanks.
        The idea of linking all the vacuum ports up is to mimic the effects of the Yamaha YICS system.
        Some say it works, others say it doesn't. Me, I'm in no position to try it, as I no longer have the factory carbs on either of the GSs.
        What I do have is a YICS-equipped Yamaha, and it seems to work on that, but Yamaha themselves produced engines with it and without it, so meh.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I remember back in the day my KZ900 had the ports all connected together with vacuum hose and "t"s. Dealer said it made carb sync more tolerant as all the vacuum would be the same. Don't know if it helped or not, but I never synced the carbs and it always ran great.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I run my GS1000 with the ports permanently linked, 1+4 and 2+3. Definately smoothes out idle but dont think it helps out any other way.
            Also makes synching a much quicker job as the adaptors are permanently attached.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
            X