No announcement yet.

thoughts on octane booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get less ping in hot weather with 87 octane ethanol than with 89 octane regular. Ethanol helps, not hinders. It's why my son uses alcohol in his super modified pulling tractors, way more compression ratio than he gets with gas. I use 91 octane whenever I can, but a lot of stations here don't carry it.

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
      Use non-oxygenated fuel( no corn squeezing's) With a stock motor you will be fine.
      Very hard to find.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Thought i read in a manual the recommended rating is 90 for our GSs. I run the 87 and havent heard any engine pining.
        Mine says 87 or higher as needed.
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          I get less ping in hot weather with 87 octane ethanol than with 89 octane regular. Ethanol helps, not hinders. It's why my son uses alcohol in his super modified pulling tractors, way more compression ratio than he gets with gas. I use 91 octane whenever I can, but a lot of stations here don't carry it.
          Depends on the amount of ethanol used. 85% would be a cold dense fuel charge which equal to higher horse power ratings though less mileage.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            There are 3 things never to argue about. Politics, religion and ethanol with a resident from Iowa. I will not dispute your reply, as I have no evidence to dispute it. On the other hand, All bikes from the 80's were jetted to run on non-oxygenated fuel. They were lean from the factory to meet emission standards. I was in the biz for 20 years and seen the dyno runs. Alcohol takes the place of fuel which makes them run even leaner. You can jet around this and get the bike back to "normal" which is better than the original factory settings. Doing nothing? Sure it runs, and it may run fine to most people, but they can run much better. Its getting easier to find non oxy fuel in my area due to the influence of hot rods, classic cars and boats. I have a close friend who is a boat Mech. He makes a LOT of $$$ off of people who use oxy fuel in there boats.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
            X