Dynojet advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynojet advice

I called Dynojet to get advice on the following: 83 GS1100E with stage 3 kit, pods and 4-1 runs amazing all the way to redline if you twist from idle to full throttle slowly (1-1.5 seconds) but if you just open it, the engine will stumble at around 5,000rpm and not recover until you back off for a moment and then hit it again after which it will accelerate strongly to redline.

The guy at Dynojet said they think it is rich at the stumble and to raise the needle. We talk mostly about lean conditions here so it never occurred to me that it might be rich. I don't know if I've read anyone describe the behavior of a rich GS other than black exhaust.

Anyone able to advise on this?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Do a plug chop when it stumbles and see if you are running rich or not, that should give you better direction than a guess.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

You can also run your choke slightly on, if it gets better you are lean, worse you are rich

Comment

If it is rich where they say, then raising the needle will make it richer. Is it a Mac pipe?
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Does the pipe have a baffle of any sort? Flat spots in mid-range are typically due to lack of any back pressure without knowing more info.

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
            Do a plug chop when it stumbles and see if you are running rich or not, that should give you better direction than a guess.

V
            +1 this. Plug chop will tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              If it is rich where they say, then raising the needle will make it richer. Is it a Mac pipe?
              You are right of course. I meant to say that they said to raise the clip.

It is a Vance and Hines.

Originally posted by stain View Post
              You can also run your choke slightly on, if it gets better you are lean, worse you are rich
              I thought this sounded good but it didn't make any difference in the stumble.
              Last edited by glib; 04-23-2016, 05:21 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                Does the pipe have a baffle of any sort? Flat spots in mid-range are typically due to lack of any back pressure without knowing more info.
                It does have a baffle.
                sigpic

Comment

This is a new plug after a plug chop test. I hit the kill switch in the middle of the "stumble" and pulled the plug and this is what is looked like.

sigpic

Comment

I would run it around a bit more until the plugs color up some before doing another plug chop and check all the plugs. The one you show looks dead lean if it's firing at all. A plug chop should burn off all excess richness from idling and show you what is really happening at full throttle where excessive leanness could melt a hole in your piston. Where is your antisease for the plug threads or is that camera angle?
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 04-24-2016, 02:48 PM.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                      I would run it around a bit more until the plugs color up some before doing another plug chop and check all the plugs. The one you show looks dead lean if it's firing at all. A plug chop should burn off all excess richness from idling and show you what is really happening at full throttle where excessive leanness could melt a hole in your piston. Where is your antisease for the plug threads or is that camera angle?
                      Good eye. No anti-seize on this plug. I think the plug does show what you describe. It has burned off any excess richness from idling and is indeed showing a lean condition during the full throttle mid-rpm stumble. Before I make any adjustments however, I am going to look at the coil relay mod idea and check my voltage at the coils since low voltage at the coils apparently can cause similar behavior.
                      sigpic

Comment

Voltage to the coils is good. Same as the voltage at the battery so back to the carbs. I dropped the clips to the fourth position. Still getting some stumble but may be a bit better. Guess I'll try the next position. PITA.
                        Last edited by glib; 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Pod people?

I raised the needle again but still get the mid-range stumble. In first gear this morning it pushed through the stumble and pulled the front wheel off the ground. Startled me a bit.

The "stumble" occurs at a higher rpm in each gear...for what it's worth.

I guess I'll try the plug chop again. I wish I could test at a track. The neighborhood is not a great testing environment.

In my 700ES the dynojet kit went in and performed perfectly from the start so this is pretty frustrating.
                          Last edited by glib; 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Are all the carb internal o-rings original? Might be causing a rich/lean condition somewhere.
                            What about the air/jets they provide in the kit, did they say to use them?
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                              Are all the carb internal o-rings original? Might be causing a rich/lean condition somewhere.
                              What about the air/jets they provide in the kit, did they say to use them?
                              The kit was installed in another "E" that I bought with a broke motor so I checked the main jets which are the only ones they say to change and installed them and the needles in this bike. I had completely dipped the carbs and installed new o-rings prior to installing the kit. I have moved the needles up and down so much for so little notable change that I am beginning to wonder if it could be something else but I have no idea what. Could it be that internal engine modifications are necessitating a different main jet? I don't know what has been done to this motor but my ES won't pull the front wheel off the ground by just twisting the throttle.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X