No announcement yet.

Dynojet advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing what type of pods you're running? (might be a factor-cheap or not properly oiled)
    What's the air/fuel mixture screw at, and the float height.
    Maybe a Pingel petcock might help with fuel delivery,
    although I'm sure many have a stock one that works with your set up.
    Or bump up the pilot jet to 47.5 or try the next size up or down on the main.

At least fussing with carbs is easier with pods, but it takes more effort than a stock set-up to get right.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      Not seeing what type of pods you're running? (might be a factor-cheap or not properly oiled)
      What's the air/fuel mixture screw at, and the float height.
      Maybe a Pingel petcock might help with fuel delivery,
      although I'm sure many have a stock one that works with your set up.
      Or bump up the pilot jet to 47.5 or try the next size up or down on the main.

At least fussing with carbs is easier with pods, but it takes more effort than a stock set-up to get right.
      I set the float height after the carb dip and o-ring work. The set screws are at 2.5 I believe. I'll check that but it's what DynoJet called for.
      The pods came with the bike and unfortunately I threw away the boxes...and they are not marked. I did not oil them. I didn't know they had to be oiled. Maybe that's the problem!

Last edited by glib; 04-26-2016, 11:06 PM.
      sigpic
      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Those are not the pods you oil, those are the pods you throw away before your engine gets ruined. I use them to keep bugs out of engines in storage, but that's it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Those are not the pods you oil, those are the pods you throw away before your engine gets ruined. I use them to keep bugs out of engines in storage, but that's it.
          I see by quick search that they are EMGO. $10 each. Good to know. So this could be the problem then?

HA! Just priced K&N. That's not going to happen! Guess I'll go back to the stock airbox. Wow. (Edit: They are expensive but not as bad as I thought)
          Last edited by glib; 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Might try the Ape brand, apparently look alike K&N's and maybe just as good. Never used them personally, supposedly a bit cheaper.

If you go back to a stock airbox, you'll loose the stage-3, unless it came with stage one. So more carb fussing either way and what if

all the carb boots are stiff and shrunken, be more then a set of decent pods.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

APE pods are half the price of K&N. I have them on my '82 11e, and they perform and look great

And mine also started to pull the front up after it was jetted for the pods.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                APE pods are half the price of K&N. I have them on my '82 11e, and they perform and look great

And mine also started to pull the front up after it was jetted for the pods.
                Thank you. What jets and needle settings did you end up with?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                  Might try the Ape brand, apparently look alike K&N's and maybe just as good. Never used them personally, supposedly a bit cheaper.

If you go back to a stock airbox, you'll loose the stage-3, unless it came with stage one. So more carb fussing either way and what if

all the carb boots are stiff and shrunken, be more then a set of decent pods.
                  Yes I would have to buy the carb boots. At least one is unusable. And you are right, I didn't get the rest of the kit with the bike so I'd be hunting for the smaller jets as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

Is the pricing for K&N and APE filters for one or for a set of four? It's not clear on the websites and I can't see buying them if the price is x4.
                    sigpic

Comment

If motorcycle maintenance is too expensive, why did you buy an older motorcycle?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        If motorcycle maintenance is too expensive, why did you buy an older motorcycle?
                        Really?

Because it's fun and I love to walk into my garage and be surrounded by beautiful bikes that remind me of my youth...and I love the feeling of being able to go back in time when I ride the roads I did 30 years ago.

For that matter, why don't you just take your older motorcycle to a competent shop for every repair? Because it's impractical...and working on them is part of the fun. Sometimes you have to spend to get what you want but paying more than necessary is not a goal.

Anyway, it's a moot point because the APE filters are $60 for four which is only $20 more than the junk ones. It's not enough to have a debate over.
                        Last edited by glib; 04-27-2016, 01:05 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                          Thank you. What jets and needle settings did you end up with?
                          I was afraid you were going to ask that. When I tried to extract that info from my tuner for the benefit of this site, he said, "You paid hundreds of dollars for that work. Why would you want to give it away?"

I explained to him that really no one here is geographically situated to be his customer. He said it wouldn't even matter because every bike is different.

I never did find out, but I can't fault his work. I'm just here to tell you not to believe the many pod haters on this site who will tell you it will never run as good as it did with the stock airbox. Mine starts and runs beautifully, pulls to redline without a single cough or stutter. And it only started to pull the front wheel off the ground after the pods and jetting.

I recall he said he got it right in three or four tries, all on the dyno, no road testing. I also think he said there was something required that isn't included with the Dynojet kit.

Good luck and don't settle for less than perfect. It's doable.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            I was afraid you were going to ask that. When I tried to extract that info from my tuner for the benefit of this site, he said, "You paid hundreds of dollars for that work. Why would you want to give it away?"

I explained to him that really no one here is geographically situated to be his customer. He said it wouldn't even matter because every bike is different.

I never did find out, but I can't fault his work. I'm just here to tell you not to believe the many pod haters on this site who will tell you it will never run as good as it did with the stock airbox. Mine starts and runs beautifully, pulls to redline without a single cough or stutter. And it only started to pull the front wheel off the ground after the pods and jetting.

I recall he said he got it right in three or four tries, all on the dyno, no road testing. I also think he said there was something required that isn't included with the Dynojet kit.

Good luck and don't settle for less than perfect. It's doable.
                            Thanks Rob. I don't know about perfect but I can't have it stutter. Maybe I won't be able to get it closer without quality pods--that is unless someone else with EMGOs has figured it out and chimes in.

I understand the tuner's point. His work is valuable and indeed every bike/geographical area can yield different results. However in the DIY world any info that might lead in the right direction is a good thing. I am going to sell this bike and would like the buyer to be able to ride away and enjoy it without these issues.
                            sigpic

Comment

Turns out I had a set of K&N's on another bike so I put them on this one and took it for a ride. The stumble is still there although it does seem minimal. I'll have to start over with DJs suggested settings and go from there. If that doesn't work, I'll put the airbox and stock jets back on.
                              sigpic

Comment

With K&Ns installed I went back to DynoJet basic settings and also checked the adjustment screws and behold, all is well now. Why, because the adjustment screws for 1 and 2 were way out. I'm the only one who has touched the bike so it had to be me but I sure don't remember opening them up like that. Especially without matching them all up. Another lesson.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X