Brand new to CV carbs, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new to CV carbs, please help

So I have an 81 GS650G that I am having a heck of a time getting to run properly. The issue is I cannot seem to tune out these carbs for the life of me. I am having bogging issues like crazy. I have cleaned and adjusted the carbs a number of times but can only seem to push the bogging to different areas of the rpm range. Started at 5-6k but was popping, turned the adjustment screws out and now it is 4-5k. Also when I am adjusting the air/fuel screws I can turn cylinder 3 all the way in and it does not make the bike sputter at all like it should (#3 has low compression as well if that helps). Also my bike always seems to smell overly gassy, dunno. I am baffled. Thank you for the help.

What threads and tutorials have you read so far on this site or Cliffs site?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have looked into disassembly, cleaning, rejeting, and adjusting these Mikuni carbs (and have done these things). I just cannot get that sweet spot. Sometimes it doesn't act up as much as other times, that is what has me stumped. I can't tell if it is something with fuel delivery (new lines and filter) or vacuum on that system or ignition? It seems like it just has a dead spot no matter how I tune it.

Comment

#3 low compression... How low?

The carb passages need to be thoroughly cleaned or mixture won't get thru them in right amount- compensating with idle stop screw and odd mixture screw settings will cause problems as bike transitions to higher revs/loads.
        Did you bench sync the carbs? All throttle plates must be even- they will appear just about fully closed sitting on idle stop screw.

gassy smell .... Check petcock operation to rule it out as a problem, as it might be dumping fuel down the vacuum line to #2 at times.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Have you checked valve clearances? If the engine can't breathe properly, it won't matter what fuel mixture you throw at it.

Comment

Have you read this?

Carb rebuild tutorial
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Stock airbox and exhaust?

By "adjustment screws" I take you mean pilot/slow/air jets? Those effect idle and up thru the mid-range, but are pretty much a non-factor by 5k rpm. If you are sure you have the carbs clean and set right, I would look at needle position. You may try shimming the needles and see what that does.

Comment

Holy cow, I should have joined this forum sooner! Thank you all so much for the input, I have some work to do. I will keep you posted. Gonna tear the carbs down again and start there.

Comment

I don't remember the number but it was signification lower and bleed off quickly.

Comment

Working...
                  X