Petcock Rebuild Kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Rebuild Kits?

The bike is an 82 1100E. It has been stored for a number of years and I am now getting it back on the road. The petcock had always been fine when I was riding it regularly but now it's dripping a bit. I suspect the seals in it dried out with the tank drained and now are not working.

Where are people getting rebuild kits these days? How about the gasket between the petcock and the tank?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by mmattockx; 04-26-2016, 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Suzuki still sells parts. Parts Outlaw has good prices if you want to order online. Best to pony up for a new petcock vs. rebuilding since Suzuki does not sell internal petcock parts, and aftermarket petcock parts like those from K&L are garbage.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don't even bother trying to do the rebuild. Most of the time it doesn't work and you'll end up buying a new petcock anyway.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

50/50 chance with the kits. Get OEM new.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Agreed. I have rebuilt petcocks before with very little success. I'd rather pony up the $60 or so for a new one and have it last another 30 years.

Comment

Damn, I guess that settles it. I will see what the local stealer wants for the assembly.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have rebuilt 3 petcocks with no problems, why are the kits garbage?

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Sometimes the parts fit, sometimes they don't fit at all.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  The bike is an 82 1100E. It has been stored for a number of years and I am now getting it back on the road. The petcock had always been fine when I was riding it regularly but now it's dripping a bit. I suspect the seals in it dried out with the tank drained and now are not working.

Where are people getting rebuild kits these days? How about the gasket between the petcock and the tank?

Thanks,
                  Mark
                  if I were buying a kit, I would probably try georgefix, based on my experience for other rubber parts and seals
                  SUZUKI - georgefixs Store
                  Maybe main difficulty is in being sure you have the right kit for the various petcocks Suzuki was using....

But first off, if your petcock is dripping, that doesn't mean you need all the parts...sometimes drips fix themselves with an optimistic drop of 3/1 into a loosened assembly and gentle working so as not to tear any driedup corrosion-impregnated material (oxide powder is sharp and digs itself into softer nylon ?rubber?viton?) or even a dissassembly if ez doesn't work- but don't bend the tiny bits or fiddle with the spring etc.)
                  perhaps it's just an o-ring from a local store you need...fingers crossed!
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-28-2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Two of the 3 just needed the main shut off O ring and seat addressed, the third the diaphragm was shot and the kit fixed that. To address the O ring seats I had to make a mandrel with the same angle as the seat, a touch of rubbing compound and a drill. re-seated the seat smooth, new O ring and game over.

Just changing the O ring and not addressing the seat, usually does not fix the problem.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

How does the petcock come apart? I can live with it for now while the mechanical stuff is all being sorted and then will have time to pull it apart when I am painting everything.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

depends which it is, but the most common ones- To get in via the tap (per your drip) you see the top plate that has the printing on it under the tap itself? That plate is bent 'round the sides of the assembly and clips to the alloy body- you just pop off the clips and the tap should pull out. There is a little brass round spring under the tap itself if you are pulling the tap out ...be careful not to lose it- try to note it's orientation and which side is inward/outward- for petcocks that actually have a Prime position(three-way tap), this little doohickey is the thing that disables the vacuum function in PRIME position.

The vacuum function is accessed through the back. 4 screws....Note the direction of the vacuum nipple so you can put casings together correctly again.... 4 screws. then Note the order of the gasket that accompanies the vacuum diaphrgm between casings and finally-the little part to watch for is the spring.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-30-2016, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X