GS750 '78 To find downpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 '78 To find downpipes

So the weather is starting to become better and the bike still needs pipes. I did a lot of searching/researching, but it's hard to find a new exhaust system.
    So until now, this is what I found:

- A Marving exhaust --> I like the sound and the look, but they come without downpipes. And I somehow can't find a complete set of downpipes for a '78 GS750.
    - MAC --> If I really want a 4-2 (which I do) they only have a turnout style for my bike. I don't like the look and wouldn't know what they sound like. Any thoughts on these?
    Also, they make a 4-1 for my bike, but I really would like a 4-2 (although, if nothing else is an option, getting the bike to ride again is more important)
    - Vance and Hines --> 4-1 system. Not sure if I like the sound. On every video I have found they seem to be too loud for a resto-like sound. I do like the look tho...
    - Motad --> 4-1, dont like the look, can't find the sound...

So, what I regard as my best option is the Marving system, but downpipes are a problem. I've ealready been told about getting downpipes from Delkevic, but I can't find them for a '78 GS750 there either. Maybe there's a different set of downpipes for another bike which also fits and i'm just not searching in the right place?

I also found a shop where they can build me a complete 4-2 system. They would make it custom fit. It is expensive tho (1200 euros/1350 dollar)...

What would you guys reckon is my best option?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2016, 11:06 AM. Reason: typo...

Is the Marving a 4 into 2 system?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes, they have this one:

Because Motad was quite fast sending me a reply, I started looking around for some pictures of a motad 4-1 mounted on a GS750. I must say the idea of a 4-1 is growing on me. I thought I didn't like the look of them, but I was able to find a picture of a motad exhaust mounted on a GS750 and i must say the look of it is growing on me. And it isn't very expensive either.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummert View Post
        Yes, they have this one:

Because Motad was quite fast sending me a reply, I started looking around for some pictures of a motad 4-1 mounted on a GS750. I must say the idea of a 4-1 is growing on me. I thought I didn't like the look of them, but I was able to find a picture of a motad exhaust mounted on a GS750 and i must say the look of it is growing on me. And it isn't very expensive either.

There you go then, that sounds like you just solved your own problem. BTW, that Marving system looks really nice. Too bad it doesn't come with the down pipes.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

[QUOTE=Drummert;2286546]So the weather is starting to become better and the bike still needs pipes. I did a lot of searching/researching, but it's hard to find a new exhaust system.
          So until now, this is what I found:

MAC --> If I really want a 4-2 (which I do) they only have a turnout style for my bike. I don't like the look and wouldn't know what they sound like. Any thoughts on these?

The MAC header pipes (down pipes) are single wall pipes which will lead to discoloring quickly. The OEM pipes are double walled and so will not discolor as fast or as noticeably.
          Common consensus on this forum seems to be that the MAC system is inferior. I had it on my bike until I was able to source an OEM system. The sound was OK but like you, I did not like the look
          of the turn out mufflers. Never was satisfied with the system.
          Last edited by alke46; 04-28-2016, 10:12 AM.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            There you go then, that sounds like you just solved your own problem. BTW, that Marving system looks really nice. Too bad it doesn't come with the down pipes.
            Yeah, that's what I got to myself as well. If it wasn't for the damned downpipes.

Yeah, I found those and I know about reslotting the flanges to fit a GS1000 downpipe on the GS750. My main concern is that those pipes are of different lengths because they were made for a 4-1 system. Or am I completely wrong on this one? If so, the combination of Delkevic downpipes plus the Marving exhaust looks like a very nice option.

Edit: I just send an email to Delkevic, asking if this system would also fit on a 4 into 2. Probably has to do with the length of the pipes and whether or not the flanges can twist? We'll see... If you guys have done something like this, please let me know.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a reaction from Delkevic. Does anyone on the forum know if you can make a Delkevic 4-1 downpipe set for GS1000 fit on a GS750 with a 4-2 exhaust system?

Comment

Working...
              X