butterfly servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

butterfly servicing

After cleaning the butterflys with brake cleaning fluid ( spray ), they remain free for about 2 days only, just to stick back once more. How else can the butterflys be serviced? Can they be dismantled and cleaned? What must I be aware of?
    My bike is a 1982 GS1100EZ which was left idle for nearly a year. My ignorance was to leave balanced fuel in the tank and carbs thereby creating this issue of a 'gummed up' carbueration system. Over a period of a year, had them serviced 2 x but each time after 2 or so weeks, ended up stuck once more. Bought some fuel additive and am planning to flush out the fuel tank of residual fuel too. Can this additive be used as solvent for the butterflys too? Seems like they are gummed up inside the shaft they are fixed to. How to penetrate the shaft they rotate about?
    Thanks for any advice that can solve this issue. Itching to ride the bike again but frustrated with this re occuring problem.

patrick

You don't want to go there unless you absolutely have to. The screws that hold the butterfly valve disks are very small and highly torqued. They are easy to strip and ruin. Dipping the carbs in cleaner usually works to free up gum buildup in the pivot shaft. No fuel stabilizing additive won't really help this. Mainly what you need to do is just get some carb cleaner (not brake) in there maybe some penetrating oil, and then work the gunk loose, and then keep spraying them and turning until they get clear enough to stop gluing up.

Comment

I also noted on the carb rebuild papers that the carbs can be dis assembled individually. Would it be better to soak the butterflys and it's shaft in carb cleaner fluid as seperated units? Are there any o-rings etc that can be damaged while soaking in carb cleaner? All this is new territory for me, sorry if I sound a nerd. Thks for the info, much appreciated.

patrick

Comment

Depending on your level of technical expertise and confidence, you can certainly dissemble the throttle butterflies. I was a beginner when I did it. Just get some new screws for the butterflies as they will be damaged getting them out AND support the throttle rod from behind as you apply pressure in undoing those screws. Make sure you thread lock them back in and peen them over so they can't come undone.

There are rubber O rings between the throttle rods and the bodies. They can perish. I found one missing on my project:

There are some more tips here:

Butterfly Capers
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

As you have discovered, BRAKE cleaner is for brakes, not CARBS. The brake cleaner has likely attacked the rubber seals on the throttle shaft, so no matter what you use in there now, they will probably stick after a while. Replacing the seals would be the best way, but as others have noted, you have to be VERY careful.

The screws are not really torqued in that tightly, but the ends are peened (flared) to ensure that they don't come out while the engine is running. As you try to remove the screw, you will be forcing the flared metal back into its original shape, making removal rather difficult. When you re-assemble, peening the screws is ideal, but you might find some chemical threadlocker. No idea what you have available in your area, so good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
            The brake cleaner has likely attacked the rubber seals on the throttle shaft
            Brake Cleaner does not attack rubber - if that were the case then you wouldn't be able to use it on brakes...

What it DOES do is remove any oil / lubricant on the shafts and therefore can make them bind. You need to lubricate the shafts.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

It can attack plastics and rubber seals. Spray some on an ABS or painted surface. It doesn't effect the "rubber" of the brake lines because it is formulated to resist brake fluid. The plastic bits in carbs are not.

Comment

I think the take away is.
                Next time use can cleaner.
                Removing and repairing the butterflies is really tedious but possible
                Try lubing first, if you haven't already, to avoid having to disassemble them.

Comment

You might want to try a few drops of light oil on the shaft. You probably have some varnish build up in the gap between the shaft and carb body. Typically that will work it's way out once you put the bike back in service.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As stated above, the throttle plates are NOT heavily torqued down. They are just peened over on the backside of the screw. You shouldn't need to remove them to do a proper cleaning. If you have not done so, then it may be time to disassemble the carb bank and do a good strip and dip along with replacement of all the o-rings.

Here's the link to the carb rebuild tutorial:CV carb rebuild tutorial

It pretty common for the throttle shafts to be a little stiff after some intense cleaning. Use some Wd40 or light machine oil and spray it on both sides of the shaft on each carburetor. Move the throttle plates back and fourth and that should free everything up nicely.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                      It can attack plastics and rubber seals. Spray some on an ABS or painted surface. It doesn't effect the "rubber" of the brake lines because it is formulated to resist brake fluid. The plastic bits in carbs are not.
                      We're talking about seals - which brake cleaner does not "attack". There are rubber seals and dust covers in calipers and brake cleaner does not "attack" them.

Mind you, brake cleaner is designed to be sprayed on and then it evaporates away. If you soak stuff in it for a period of time it's probably going to be a different scenario.

I've used brake cleaner for years to clean out carbs but I immediately dry them with compressed air so they do not soak in the stuff. Never had a problem using it that way.
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

IF you brave up and remove the butterflies, you can use a pair of needle nose vice grips to squish the bolts again..and as mentioned before some gas resistant thread locker will help too.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Everything has been stripped off and the carbs seperated. I plan on soaking the butterfly shaft area of each carb seperately in heavy duty gas injector fluid and work out the gum that causes the stickiness there. Can this damage the butterfly component? Are there any other o-rings inside the carb body housing that pivots the butterfly I should be aware of?
                          PS
                          How do I attach pics here?

Comment

Look at the picture in the post above. There are rubber seals in those shafts. You need to get the shafts out and replace them.
                            Richard
                            sigpic
                            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Yes, Richard I have removed the rubber seals from the shafts and will be replacing them. Afterall they are already 34 yrs old ☺. Looks like the butterflys are free of gum now after cleaning and working them out. Now to clean out the petrol tank of petrol residue ( more than a year of old petrol that has evaporated and clung to the inner sides. I'll be puttjng in some new petrol with carb cleaner for this. A lot of soaking and swishing around to dislodge the residual. Anything I have to be aware of regards the petrol cock and maybe the petrol gauge sensors? Any rubber seals there?

Comment

Working...
                              X