Help! Petrol tap (gas cock) weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Petrol tap (gas cock) weirdness

So, I finally forked out nearly £100 for a new, genuine, complete petrol tap for my GS1000G, as nothing seemed to make the old one stop letting petrol through. I've just taken the old one out of the tank and I found, to my astonishment, that the two mounting screw holes go right through into the void. I had expected them to be blind holes, but no.

So, my question is, how shall I make sure there's no leakage when I re-fit the new tap? The old one had some sort of blue goo all over the 'O' ring and the screw threads (looks like Hylomar but I didn't think that was petrol-proof, so i guess its something else).

My manual tells me there's no need for any gasket sealant. I don;t believe it. Can anyone with experience of changing taps please tell me what brand of stuff to use (and preferably where I can get it)? I don;t know of anything petrol-proof.

There are two special washers under the bolt heads that have rubber surfaces to seal them.

There is a name for that thpe of washer but I don't remember what it is.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

The correct washers have little rubber O rings built in. Suzuki still sells them, as do fastener supply places.

Suzuki part no:

09168-06023

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

dowty seals, or dowty washers.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks to all three of you who've replied, this is exactly the info I needed. The washers that were fitted were just plain steel washers, hence the liberal use of gasket goo I reckon.

I'll phone Robinsons Foundry in the morning and get the proper items.

Thanks again all, this is the kind of thing that makes this forum good!

Comment

Working...
          X