Hail Mary pass before putting on C.L. : 1981 GS650G racing idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hail Mary pass before putting on C.L. : 1981 GS650G racing idle issue

Since rebuilding the carbs, I have a racing idle issue: will race up to 4k, I blip it once or twice and it will come back down to 1500...rinse repeat.

This is everything I've done:

- slightly less than 16k miles
    - Completely stock; has air box, stock exhaust
    - added foam around the airbox to ensure a good seal
    - Rebuilt carbs...completely took them down and soaked each carb body in Beryman's
    - confirmed all passages clear
    - replaced the float needles
    - Completely re O ringed (twice now)
    - replaced the rubber intake boots (and yes the O rings behind) as well as the clamps
    - Adjusted valves
    - Rebuilt petcock
    - needles are all adjusted about 2.5 turns out
    - Carb's synched with a Morgan Tune
    - Fresh oil and filter
    - fresh gas
    - none of the carb adjustment needles are broken

She starts right up, and has plenty of power - was surprised how well it pulled getting onto the on ramp. Sometimes it will sit and idle perfectly if I don't mess with the throttle, but as soon as I start to use the throttle (load or no load) it will just start racing.

I've had the carbs off and on at least 3-4 times. I even pulled the carbs back apart and cleaned them again (didn't do Berman soak, as I thought it would be overkill the second time) and re O-ringed.

I'm really at a loss .... is it possible I'm looking under the wrong rock, and it is potentially related to the ignition / timing advance /retard? I bet I've got a good 40 hours invested in trouble shooting the problem.

I'm located in Saint Clair Shores, MI if someone is up to assisting me with tackling this challenge.

Any thoughts /opinions welcome.

Could there be something wrong with the choke mechanism?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Choke works fine ... even replaced the choke cable. Fires right up. In fact, clogged choke passages was the reason I rebuilt the carbs in the first place.

Comment

I think Rob was alluding to the possibility that the choke was not shutting off fully for you. Or, you may need to adjust the idle mixture screws
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I am pretty sure have BS32 carb and there is no choke on a Mikuni BS32 assembly. The things are enricheners and when opened, allow extra gas to combine with the gas from the pilot circuit to enrichen the starting mixture. When not needed they shut against a raised seat in a well. They seal because there are rubber pads inserted into the bottoms. If the seal is bad, idle speed will rev to an uncomfortable level till they seat again; you can sometimes jiggle the choke cable and they will reseat; a little harder to do with a cable rather than an arm with a lever on the end as some earlier VM carbs had... just jiggle that lever and the idle will settle. If this is the case, the rubber needs to be replaced OR you can pick up new plungers...

You may also have a vacuum leak. Vacuum line to petcock is most likely candidate. Last, the throttle cables may be a tad tight; make sure they have slack... you should be able to pull sideways on a cable down at the carb side and it should deflect perhaps a 1/4" indicating it isn't taut.

Comment

Just for kicks how about opening up the pilot screws to 3.5 turns open? My old 550T had a hanging idle that went away at 3.5 turns.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Throttle tube sticking? (Slow to return)
              Bent throttle cable (slow to return)
              Sticking butterflies (

Comment

. .
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Plug the vacuum connection on #2 carb, run petcock on "PR" spot and see if this issue goes bye bye on next ride. Don't waste time rebuilding petcocks, new ones can be had for $50
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Pilot screws open them up alittle
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After reading them all, my hunch was the petcock. I did the test suggested; turned onto prime, and plugged the vacuum line.... alas, no difference.

Next I will try turning the pilot screws open a bit....although I will say, when I attempted to adjust these using the 'high idle' method for adjusting them i could not discern any change in idle speed regardless how in/out the screws were (hence the 2.5 turn default). And yes, I double checked that none of the pilot screws were broke, and also replaced the tiny little o rings.

After I turn the pilot screws out a half turn, then I will throw a timing light on it. If neither works, will spring for a new petcock. Although the test did not prove it was at fault, I do suspect it, even though I rebuilt it.

Forgot to add...it's not the throttle cable; works smoothly, and know that it fully closes, as I adjusted it so that there is a slight bit of slack when it's shut. When I had it off, I could tell the all the butterflies were closed....so not the throttle cable.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Try running an auxiliary fuel source.
                        (Small bottle with a nipple to feed the fuel line to the carbs.)
                        10 mins to whip up a little gas feed system.
                        That will help rule out/ and or point to certain potential issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X