tank vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank vent?

There is a small L shaped nipple on the bottom of my tank. What is its purpose? Vent? Other? I put gas in my tank for the first time today and had a drop or two of gas come out of the thing. I have since put a hose on it and routed it over the swingarm. For info, the tank had been recently coated inside with an unknown brand epoxy sealer. I didn't look carefully at the gas cap (first time I put it on was today) and is it vented?

Yes the gas caps are vented.
    The nipped on the tank is for an overflow tube. It the fuel sending unit leaks it will leak into the half moon shaped disc and out the nipple.

Comment

This thing is not on the fuel sending unit... it is soldered or welded onto the tank itself. Is this the one you refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
        This thing is not on the fuel sending unit... it is soldered or welded onto the tank itself. Is this the one you refer to?
        I haven't seen one directly welded to the tank, only on the sending unit cover.
        Go to bike cliffs page and in the left hand column near the bottom is a section called "where do these hoses go?"

Comment

You were spot on... it is the overflow for the gas gauge sending unit. Took a closer look. Thanks

Comment

If you saw fuel coming out that port then you have a leak around the fuel sending unit. What condition is the tank in? Rusty?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Tank was relined by PO... some type of epoxy... not sure. He had the sending unit off the tank I would bet. Got a couple drops when the tank was first filled and then no more. Seems OK. Will buy a gasket if I see any more drops. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X