Synchronizing carb troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronizing carb troubles

I am looking for some suggestions on how best to deal with stripped threads in the #3 synchronize port. I have a 5mm heli-coil but am not sure that this is the best way to go. If the head was off, it would be no problem but with head intact, it will be more of a challenge.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Why don't you just tap up a size and make or buy the vacuum tips that you can leave in permanently. Use grease on the tap and back it out every few turns and clean it and reapply more grease,etc
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Why don't you just tap up a size and make or buy the vacuum tips that you can leave in permanently.
      I had some permanent ports on a previous bike and it worked quite well. However, on my GS, there was a time when the carburation wasn't quite "perfect". The bike would hiccup occasionally while warming up and that would spit the rubber tips off the vacuum ports. I did not notice that one time until several miles into the ride. I stopped at the next auto parts store to get an assortment box of rubber caps, fortunately one of them fit very tightly on the port. When I got home, the stock plugs went back in before the engine had time to cool off.

Comment

Working...
      X