carbs - how long to ulrasound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs - how long to ulrasound

How long to ultrasound the carbs using the cheap HF machine http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

with the PURPLE simple green metal-safe cleaner? http://simplegreen.com/products/pro-...ner-degreaser/

Also1 - should the PURPLE simple green get thinned for the bath mixture

Also2 - should I pre-heat the bath mixture?
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Several of the longest cycle, 420 sec. or something? How bad were the carbs before? Some do well in a few cycles, some take a lot more. Mix it with hot water, how much and how hot is up to you. Doesn't need a lot of detergent. I tried different amounts, 1%, 5%, 10% it didn't seem to matter much. If the water gets black and nasty change it out.
    Make sure you suspend the carb off the bottom, or use the plastic basket. If it sits on the bottom it damps out a lot of the ultrasound. One carb at a time works better than two, the HF unit just isn't all that powerful.
    If you like the results you're doing it right. If you don't try something different.
    It's not rocket science.
    Have fun.

And be sure to post before and after pictures to help convert the heathens who still advocate using nasty chemicals.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks

420 seconds is only like 7 min

can there be TOO MUCH ultrasounding?
      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Not at that low power level. After so long it's a waste of time, they are clean already. It really does work well, even that HF unit. I used mine for years before I ruined it. Lots of carburetors.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I do mine for 30 min. 7min? 10min? 20min? Who can really tell when it's a waist of time and when it's not done yet? I've had carbs that needed much longer then others depending on the amount of previous abuse and the nature of the debris. I figure it's my time to waist so I might as well ensure it's done completely. If you run it longer then a few minutes it doesn't damage anything so why not?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have the same machine,Can't remember how long I did my 82 GPz750 carbs but it was quite a few cycles(see pics in your other thread).I also turned them to get the ultrasound in different directions and because the BS carbs are a little above the max water line.Have used Dawn Ultra dish soap to good effect in mine.Yes use the heater.

Comment

Working...
            X