airbox fitment 1000 vs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox fitment 1000 vs 1100

I didn't have the correct carbs for my project and got some GS1100 carbs from a 1980 GS1100L. The carbs work fine and fit nicely into the new carb holders I purchased (yes, I got the correct orings). On the airbox side, the spacing on the GS1000GL airbox seemed off some. The rubber boots are not in the best shape but just didn't line up. I have some inexpensive pods on now and the bike runs fine after rejet BUT I would like to use the stock airbox. Any hints why the airbox didn't work? If I bought a GS1100 airbox is the hole spacing different?

bump - if you can help, please respond! thanks

Comment

The '80 1100L was a 16-valve chain-driven, one-year wonder.
      The '80 1000GL was an 8-valve shaft-driven bike.

I don't know how much the spacing of the carbs might have been different, but the rest of the airbox would definitely be different, along with the mounting points, as the two frames were VERY different.

Comment

Did you move the jets from your 1000 carbs into the 'new' 1100 carbs?

If not, be prepared for some fun, as the jetting is quite different.
        Maybe to the point that the bike will not run.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I have pods on and rejeetted and the bike runs great. Used stock jet needles (jet needle could be raised a tad), 47.5 pilot jets and 135 main jets. I asked about the airbox fitment. I know the airboxes may be different but asked about spacing of the runners/holes on the airbox.

Comment

Carb spacing is the same between the 1000 and 1100 engines on both the intake and exhaust side.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Carb spacing is the same between the 1000 and 1100 engines on both the intake and exhaust side.
              +1 The airbox from the 1000 should fit without any issues. Like JT said above the port spacing is the same and the carbs are interchangeable (jetting is different).

Comment

I had the two left and two right carb boots postioned properly but perhaps they are so old, they just won't work them... I suspected that. The left and right sided boots are formed a bit different but it is hard to tell from the condition mine were in. These things were ON the set of carbs that originally came with the bike. I will see about some new boots as I prefer to use the stock airbox. Thanks!

Comment

Taking a closer look, the airbox on the 80 GS1000GL and the airbox on the GS1100L mount differently but more important, the airbox on the 1100 uses four intake runners with the same part number 13885-49021 and look STAIGHT. The 1000GL airbox has two left and two right intake runners meaning they are likely angled a bit. I may try buying some new 1000GL (p/n 13881-45050 and 13882-45050 R & L respectively) and see if they work with my airbox allowing me to use it with the 1100L carbs. The intake runners used on the 80 GL were also used on the G and these were the only models using the left and right hand-type intake runners.

Comment

Working...
                  X