Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carb bowl gasket - what material to make one of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb bowl gasket - what material to make one of?

Looking for recommendations on gasket material for the carb bowl gasket. - ideas?

I get to play with a laser cutter and thought it would be fun to make some as needed and not have to wait to order one if I tear one.

Also, with the laser cutting tech, I can cut other gaskets - just scan one in and draw it in a cad program. Thinking that head and cylinder gaskets may be next. What material would be good for those? Could even do one for the chain tightener.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Auto parts stores sell gasket paper. Measure the thickness of a bowl gasket and then match the thickness. Get material that resists gasoline of course.

I wouldn't take the risk on a base gasket. The gasket material is thin and of a specialized material that can take the compression forces of that application. Base gaskets are cheap too. Head gaskets are not cheap but they are very specialized in terms of material and construction. I would definitely not attempt to make one of those.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

1cm main squares with 2mm minor square. print _ deselect_ fit to paper http://andrewvanis.com/GS750/carb%20bowl%20gasket.pdf verify size
      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Cheerios boxes work great.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cheerios boxes work great.
          For two minutes?
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Decades .

Comment

Either your cereal is packaged in something else or cardboard is gasoline-resistant, which would be new to me.

Not that I ever checked the latter.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

You might not want to re-use it after decades, but it probably won't leak.

Comment

Gasket paper is more durable than a cereal box paper but the bowls shouldn't really be getting all sloppy wet. When you buy bowl gaskets, they can often come in a variety of thicknesses depending on who made them for the same application. Even super thin gaskets will work fine if the gasket mating surfaces are cleaned of all old gasket material and are smooth. The cheerios box material will likely work fine. I wouldn't use it for anything that had some pressure to it like on a crankcase (cylinder head, etc.)... can't say I would try so I don't really know.

Comment

OK, a long time ago I made a gasket to go between the the bell housing and the transmission of my Opel GT.... Out of a Cheerios box. It didn't leak at all. Not gasoline, but gear oil in there. Drove it a few years, sold it to someone else, who also sold the car... Ten or so years later I was pulling the transmission out of a long dead Opel Kadett station wagon that had sat in a field for years. Paid the man $50 or whatever, crawled under there and pulled the transmission. And it had my old Cheerios box gasket. Apparently someone bought my old GT for parts and put the entire engine/transmission in this station wagon. And it still didn't leak.

Comment

Oh this is pure gold.

Comment

I personally prefer Special K boxes.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                        X