Loud Pipes Save Lives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud Pipes Save Lives?

Saw the new guy with the "brat bike" get fired up for having chopped off pipes. I personally am not fond of noise so looking for some tech help on this issue. My STOCK 4 into 2 LOOKS fine but someone has punched or otherwise did away with the baffles. No back pressure and popping (not from an air leak, I AM SURE) and the pipes are really loud; almost as bad as if I hacked off the mufflers. I have no desire to make my humble GL sound like an F1 racer. Can I repack or otherwise add baffles to these things. End caps are welded in place so this will not be super easy.

TIPS PLEASE OR I WILL RIDE BY YOUR HOUSE AND REV MY ENGINE AS YOU ARE WATCHING TV

I really don't want to buy a 4 into 1. Want to retain the original look if possible.

Might be best to cut the mufflers off squarely and add some form of slip ons, Harely mufflers, or modern muffler cans.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
      Saw the new guy with the "brat bike" get fired up for having chopped off pipes. I personally am not fond of noise so looking for some tech help on this issue. My STOCK 4 into 2 LOOKS fine but someone has punched or otherwise did away with the baffles. No back pressure and popping (not from an air leak, I AM SURE) and the pipes are really loud; almost as bad as if I hacked off the mufflers. I have no desire to make my humble GL sound like an F1 racer. Can I repack or otherwise add baffles to these things. End caps are welded in place so this will not be super easy.

TIPS PLEASE OR I WILL RIDE BY YOUR HOUSE AND REV MY ENGINE AS YOU ARE WATCHING TV

I really don't want to buy a 4 into 1. Want to retain the original look if possible.
      Chop off the mufflers and find a pair of stock Harley muffler ends. Plenty of those laying around for the taking. May need to do a bit of fabricating though the HD muffs sound good but not loud.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The way the mufflers attach to the system is that they are welded and the piece they are welded to involves a straight pipe and one coming in from a center cylinder. There is almost no place to cut that would allow me to slip a pipe over the cut PLUS there is a big fat weld along the seam that would have to be ground off. I would have to cut and then put a pipe inside the cut off headpipe section and weld it into place. The heat shield is now a problem as the rear bolt that holds the heat shield that would hide this mess is welded to the part that is to be cut off. Would have to find a heat shield to hide this mess that uses a muffler clamp to hold it. The cut off muffler part would be 17" and trying to find a muffler that didn't stick out a bunch isn't easy either. An inch or two would be OK...

That is why I was hoping someone had repacked or added a baffle to the OEM mufflers.

Comment

I've seen a few GS 850-1000-1100 G and GK systems on ebay this year. All those will fit.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            I've seen a few GS 850-1000-1100 G and GK systems on ebay this year. All those will fit.
            With some modification. The hangers at the rear changed in '82, and the bolt hole spacing on the clamp collars is not always the same. They may have been unified in '82. Gah. We really need Steve to finish working on his house. He would know.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The header side going into the engine is the same bolt spacing and size for both the 1000 and the 1100. The rear hanger usually has to be fabricated but doesn't involve much. Even the 16V headers will fit the 8V engines. My 1980 gs1000 with an 1100G engine has a 1100E header. Straight bolt up except for the rear hanger.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

There is not much worse than a crappy sounding loud exhaust.

Even a good sounding loud exhaust has it's place, and it is not on the street IMO.

Some motorcycles, no matter what you do, sound like crap with aftermarket exhausts.

The worst of the worst, IMO, is the Honda VTX1800 - with it's staggered crank pins, it never does sound right.

The VTX1300, with it's single crankpin, can sound really good, but it's one gutless motorcycle to anyone has has ridden nearly anything else.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  With some modification. The hangers at the rear changed in '82, and the bolt hole spacing on the clamp collars is not always the same. They may have been unified in '82. Gah. We really need Steve to finish working on his house. He would know.
                  Sorry, the house won't be done for at least another year or two, but I'm back.

The '82 collars on the 850 were the same size as previous years, and they are just a little bit smaller than the 1000/1100 collars.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was really hoping for some magic in repacking those mufflers with fiberglass or steel wool or installing some new baffles. I think modifying the system I have now is beyond what I am interested in doing. Will look for a take off on a model that will fit.

If the collars on an 850 system are smaller, does that mean the mount holes need to be drilled?

Comment

97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

EMGO makes some nice slip on style long pipes, Dunstall replicas. Very close to the standard bike length, may be a bit too long for yours. But, worth checking out.

Loud Pipes **** people off.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

See. They do save lives. If someone rear ended him his loud pipes would totally protect him.

Comment

Wish I had enough time on my hands to fab up some joke stuff for you-tube... gessh...

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                              See. They do save lives. If someone rear ended him his loud pipes would totally protect him.
                              Loud pipes only make noise when the throttle is open. If the throttle was open he wouldn't have gotten rear ended, now would he?
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X