Idle air mixture screw missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle air mixture screw missing?

I posted here about 2 weeks ago. I took the airbox of my newly bought 82 gs50g and found the boots melted and the slide in the carb stuck. I got the slide unstuck bought new boots started the bike and it idled at 4k. Started messing with idle knob now it won't start but will fire. I also noticed that the idle air mixture screw (I think that's what it's called) is missing. It looks like someone broke it off and maybe tried to solder something in there so it seems that it would be very hard to replace? I added a picture, the crudely drawn arrow points to the missing screw.

carbs.jpg

what should I do? Bought the bike for $750. It has a clean title. It seemed like a good deal since all the rubber bits are in good shape and it had a new stator. I like working on motorcycles but my skill level is more around doing my own maintenance and less complete overhaul. I get kinda bogged down when it comes to complex trouble shooting. Anyway what should I do?
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

You'll need that idle mixture screw replaced and properly positioned ! Have you been to Basscliff's? Required reading to get this critter running right,as there's likely lots of maintenance issues long overdue...

back up in link for info overload
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yea I have looked at that site a bunch The problem is I don't think I can get it out theirs solder stuck in the hole. Should I just buy another set of Carbs off ebay?
      1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Ok after reading some more I think I should do a compression test on all 4 cylinders that's a good next step right?
        1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

You should definitely get new carbs if you can't correct the problems with the existing. If the bike has not been running for some time I think you would be better off getting the carbs done and the valves adjusted before bothering with compression checks. Also be aware that compression will likely be low in a bike that hasn't been ridden in a while and will recover some as the rings and valves settle in.

Comment

Pull the carbs- maybe the solder is barely hanging on in there and will come out easily. I can't tell from your pic why this was done, unless someone crudely sealed it off. There is a method to cut into those mixture screw "towers" to extract the mixture screw, but I can't find the link now. See how your other carbs look before you decide to get new/ used ebay set.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I've pulled them before it looks pretty stuck in there
              1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X