Looking to buy first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy first bike

Hello I'm looking for some opinions before purchasing a 2006 GS500F. The current owner was one who I can tell beat it up and took no care for the bike (literally told me himself he never even changed the oil). He says it just needs the carbs cleaned and I've done that once before with my father so it's no problem for me but I want to be sure there's not a deeper issue. I went to look at it yesterday and the battery was dead, had to jump it to start it which it did with no problem. Pretty sure choke was up the entire time, idle sounded a little rough which was to be expected however for the first 30 seconds or so it had no response from trying to rev it. I could tell he was trying to time revving it with the sound of the motor but I couldn't pick up on his cadence. After about a minute it was warmed up and would rev but it was a serious delay. Mainly I want to ask what causes a delay in the throttle response and if it's something to worry about or could be fixed by an amateur. Other than that he drove it up and down the street it sounded good but I was unsuccessful to drive it because the delay was making me nervous and couldn't let the clutch out in time. He says he took it to a shop and they estimated about $400 to get it running good it also needs a back tire and battery. As of now I talked him down to $1400 and really want to see what other more experienced people have to say. Also curious what people think of this 2006 model and how it would be as my first bike. Any input helps thanks in advance.

Run don't walk. This is not the motorcycle you are looking for.

This $1,400 bike could end up costing you thousands and thousand of dollars. The GS 500 is a nice bike to learn on, but not this one. Neglect is expensive to fix.

Besides, everything the seller says is a lie.
    Last edited by tkent02; 05-12-2016, 11:10 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PASS! This bike sounds like a major headache.

Comment

If you are a beginning rider, then my first recommendation is to sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, or whatever rider training course is available in your area.

You are likely to be far better off spending a little extra $$$ to buy a good bike than buying a bike that needs work and spending a lot of $$$$$$ to fix it up.
        This bike just isn’t worth the aggravation, even if you talk him down some more.

Comment

that bike is easy to fix and if you can get it going you can handle almost any bike on the market. basically yes you have to invest time effort and parts - and yes it is easier to pay more and get something "turn key" - but it is better to get something you can make mistakes with and no loss to value.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I agree, that bike doesn't sound bad at all. Plan to do a bunch of maintenance work on the bike, hopefully yourself. Don't ever buy a cheap bike with the expectation that some shop will take care of the work because you will be upside down almost immediately.

Clean carbs, adjust valves, new battery and tires, change brake fluid, just normal maintenance stuff.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

In great shape it's a $2500 bike, even after spending thousands on repairs and parts it will only be a $2500 bike. They are all over the place in that price range. I guess the OP didn't specify if he wanted a motorcycle to ride, or one to spend money on, repair, and tinker with forever. Judging by his questions in the first post he just wanted to ride, doesn't sound like he has much experience fixing or maintaining old bikes, has no idea why it's not running right, probably has no idea how much it will take to get a neglected piece of junk like this in roadworthy condition....

There are better bikes out there to waste time and money on.

Comment

Still carbureted in 2006? I don't keep up with new bikes anymore, but I figured they'd all be fuel injected by then.
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Thank you for the responses so far, just wanted to say that I'll have free time to spend on the bike and really want to learn how to fix it myself. I'm not interested in just taking it to the shop unless it's something I can't fix. I would like to learn the in's and out's of how it works so in the future I can afford myself a nicer bike. My only experience is with my dad and his 74' BMW r90 and him leading the way but I know how to read and follow instructions and know I would love the bike so much more if I got it back on the road myself. Mainly what it comes down to is do these problems really sound like multiple thousand dollar repairs? Like I said I'm ready to devote time into the bike but don't want to screw myself.

Thanks again!!

Comment

+1 on the MFS course - go sign up at the NOVA Loudoun Campus on 7 in Sterling. They will supply the bikes and lids if needed. Riding in Northern VA is fracking dangerous and you must be aware of your vulnerabilty. Good luck with the purchase - whatever it is, and enjoy sensible, safe riding for the rest of your life!
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Pallotta24 View Post
                      My only experience is with my dad and his 74' BMW r90 and him leading the way but I know how to read and follow instructions and know I would love the bike so much more if I got it back on the road myself.
                      Start by reading this:

A lot of it won't apply to your 500 but a lot of it will.

Comment

Multiple thousands of dollars? No. Expect to sink a few hundred depending on the condition of the charging system. Expect to invest a number of hours as well. Personally I'd try to talk him down a couple of hundred dollars more if possible. Just be prepared for some heavy learning curve and hours with us here and you'll be OK.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Plus one on the MSF courses at Nova. I took the class last summer at Alexandria campus and it was perfect for a beginner. Since I've gotten zero miles on my bike since the class, I'll probably take another class this summer.
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by Pallotta24 View Post
                            Thank you for the responses so far, just wanted to say that I'll have free time to spend on the bike and really want to learn how to fix it myself. I'm not interested in just taking it to the shop unless it's something I can't fix. I would like to learn the in's and out's of how it works so in the future I can afford myself a nicer bike. My only experience is with my dad and his 74' BMW r90 and him leading the way but I know how to read and follow instructions and know I would love the bike so much more if I got it back on the road myself. Mainly what it comes down to is do these problems really sound like multiple thousand dollar repairs? Like I said I'm ready to devote time into the bike but don't want to screw myself.

Thanks again!!
                            When thinking about the cost also keep in mind the cost of tools. If you don't already have them you'll need to buy that as well and that going to be part of the upfront cost. You can work on a bike that's already in good shape and learn how to do it from that. You don't have to learn on one that's already busted.

Comment

I would pass on that bike. 1400 bucks is to high for what it might cost you to fix. Never changed the oil? The single best thing you can do for a engine I think. I had a 2005 GS500F black one, they are tough as an iron ball. But mine nearly looked like new, mabe 28K miles. I traded it in on a bigger bike, the dealer gave me 1900 bucks that was 2010.
                              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                              Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X