Does this even seem possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this even seem possible?

$273.00 for an OEM petcock to replace the one on my 79 1000E. Holy crap, looks like I will be checking out the Pingle brand.

I've had mine out of the tank a couple of times and when I last put gas in the tank today, it was holding back the flow until a couple of hours later. Then it broke loose and now will no longer keep the gas from flowing in the run position

Time to go shopping for a replacement.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

The 1978 1979 GS750E petcock will fit and is 1/3 the cost. The outlets face a little different directions but will work.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for that info. I was going to check to see if other model petcocks would work. I see on here all the time advice to replace them for 60-65 dollars, so the search is on. Thanks again.

Larry
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        $273.00 for an OEM petcock to replace the one on my 79 1000E. Holy crap, looks like I will be checking out the Pingle brand.

I've had mine out of the tank a couple of times and when I last put gas in the tank today, it was holding back the flow until a couple of hours later. Then it broke loose and now will no longer keep the gas from flowing in the run position

Time to go shopping for a replacement.
        You can cap off the vacuum side and put a quality inline on/off in the gas line (not one of those cheapo lawn mower types) and just have a manual one

Comment

I know what you are saying but I can't picture this in my mind due to space limitations. Where would this inline on/off switch fit? I guess that is why I am thinking that a pingel would be the right move, no?
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Seen this???

A lot better than an inline valve, a lot cheaper than a new petcock.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Seen this???

A lot better than an inline valve, a lot cheaper than a new petcock.
              Yes I did see that but when I put gas in the tank today, I had the tank sitting on a portable bench and with the petcock switch it the on position, the gas did not flow at first but then a couple of hours later, it started flowing. So would it not also flow uncontrollably with your modification?
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Tom, after posting this response, I went back and looked at your mod again and I agree that with the lever in the straight up position, it should not let any fuel flow. In theory at least.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

No, not at all as long as the part that selects reserve, prime or on is working. They usually are, it's the vacuum valve that usually fails.

If those parts are shot, they are very cheap from Suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    No, not at all as long as the part that selects reserve, prime or on is working. They usually are, it's the vacuum valve that usually fails.

If those parts are shot, they are very cheap from Suzuki.
                    ^^^ Agree!

Sounds like you need one of these: https://www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL18-4354

If you go this route pay close attention on how things go together. I messed up a petcock rebuild the first time because i put something in the wrong order and it made my problem worse. Then I found this post: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Petcock-test which helped a lot.

Especially this: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ck_rebuild.pdf

Follow that PDF and you can't go wrong.

Comment

You can get all of those parts except the diaphragm for about $7 from Suzuki, the vacuum part of the rebuild kits rarely work anyway.

Comment

Alke,

What Tom says. Your problem sounds like the 3 hole disc has failed. Also get the square O ring that goes around the lever. That may cure your problem. I've replaced those parts a number of times in the 37 years I've owned mine.

You may have some crud built up inside, scrub the area you can see inside with a scotchbrite and some carb cleaner. Don't mess with the vacuum diaphragm at all. A bit of silicone lube on the new rubber bits and you'll be amazed how easy the lever works
                        Last edited by Big T; 05-17-2016, 04:36 PM.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Alke,

What Tom says. Your problem sounds like the 3 hole disc has failed. Also get the square O ring that goes around the lever. That may cure your problem. I've replaced those parts a number of times in the 37 years I've owned mine.

You may have some crud built up inside, scrub the area you can see inside with a scotchbrite and some carb cleaner. Don't mess with the vacuum diaphragm at all. A bit of silicone lube on the new rubber bits and you'll be amazed how easy the lever works
                          Don't you mean the 5 hole disc? I did replace everything except that diaphragm. I had to grind off the lever to get it to go all the way straight up, but now it actually does stop the flow of gasoline.
                          Thanks,

Larry
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                          X