Low idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low idle problem

Here comes another Rejetting problem. No I don't want your opinion on pods I'm just looking for help to run right. So I have a 77 gs750 and the previous owner trashed the airbox so it's running with emgo pods. And I just recently running a kerker 4-1. I've adjusted the valves. New exhaust gasket. Completely rebuilt the carbs. Dunked and all new o rings. My stock mains are 97.5 for my bike I went up to 115. Also I moved the needle clip. I've turned the pilot screw out 2.5 turns.

So so it starts up alright but it seems rich. It bogs down and seems rich. And doesn't want to idle well. Anything above 1/3 throttle it runs fine. Any suggestions would be helpful or if you have questions ask away

By "pilot screw", are you referring to the screw on the bottom?

With pods and a pipe, you should not need more than one turn out. The air screw (the one on the side) should be just less than double that, as a starting point.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, piot fuel screw less than a turn out is normal, pods don't add much airflow at the low throttle openings where the pilot circuit is active, Emgo pods flow more dust and dirt than air so there's no need to add much fuel.

2.5 turns out is way too rich as you are saying, above 1/3 throttle the pilot circuit is not in use so the richness goes away.

I'd try 7/8 - 1 turn out on the fuel screw, as you tune the air screw it will probably end up around 2 or less.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Yeah, piot fuel screw less than a turn out is normal, pods don't add much airflow at the low throttle openings where the pilot circuit is active, Emgo pods flow more dust and dirt than air so there's no need to add much fuel.

2.5 turns out is way too rich as you are saying, above 1/3 throttle the pilot circuit is not in use so the richness goes away.

I'd try 7/8 - 1 turn out on the fuel screw, as you tune the air screw it will probably end up around 2 or less.
        what he said

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

sorry I guess I could have been more specific. By pilot screw I meant the one on the side. Which I believed to be the fuel screw. But from what you say the bottom adjusts the fuel. The bottom is set so factory which is 3/4 turn. It's the side screw that is around 2 turns

Comment

Also last week I got it started and ran somewhat ok, didn't have time to really adjust it. But yesterday I replaced the exhaust gaskets and now that I have done that I am having the low idle problem. I take this as they're being an exhaust leak at the header before but now that there is no leak the engine isn't getting as much air so now it's running rich. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by ttfraz View Post
              sorry I guess I could have been more specific. By pilot screw I meant the one on the side. Which I believed to be the fuel screw. But from what you say the bottom adjusts the fuel. The bottom is set so factory which is 3/4 turn. It's the side screw that is around 2 turns
              Well, at 3/4 turn on the fuel screw, it's not getting quite enough. With the air screw at 2 turns, what the fuel screw is allowing isn't rich enough. Try the bottom screw at 1 turn, the side screw between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 turns.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I've had time to play around with it and still no luck. I've re synced the carbs, fixed the floats (they were a little off before). It still bogs downs and dies. Nevermind idling right. As soon as I give it an 1/8 - 1/4 she bogs down. Could it be a jetting issue. From what I've read it sounds lean by the plugs look rich.

I I forgot to add that stock main jet is 97.5 for my bike. I have 115 in there now with the needle a notch up from stock (4th down).

Should i I move the needle to stock? Change jets? It does idle better close to stock setting as opposed to other extreme

Comment

Should I move the clip down?

Comment

I was asked to pass on this. Try the clip in the middle position, you may still need to up or down a size on the main for perfection.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I think I have similar setup. Small needle changes made a big difference on my slide carbs. Plus, make sure your pods don't occlude the idle air passages. Since you have a 750, I can't totally give you apples to apples. Just understand that changing one thing affects the others. I got mine close by starting from a fixed point, stock settings. Set to stock...open throttle...too lean... raise needles...adjust for idle with air screws...open throttle...etc. You will probably have to come up a little on the fuel screw to give it proper fueling with the throttle open which means more air from the air screws for proper mix. gsrick is correct. I have pods plus Kerker and the needles are in the middle. I had to shim it slightly in one direction as the middle position wasn't quite right for me. Good luck with your jetting. You have to be patient. Little changes make more difference than expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X