Rocky road to the airstrip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky road to the airstrip.

Filled the tank early yesterday and the pump let fly like a fire hose. First fill of the day enthusiasm. Always a bad sign. We went to the breakfast fly-in on the bike. About thirty machines, half a dozen L-4s, Tiger Moth, Auster/Taylor or two .
    The last half mile of road to the strip is an engineering masterpiece. There are no potholes but no matter what speed or line you take it shakes the hell out of everything. It's so bad, getting off and pushing seemed a good idea. Later as we left we went the other way, couldn't be worse, well it was and on top of everything the bike was now showing signs of fuel starvation.
    I'm going in there now fully expecting a clogged strainer at the petcock. If it turns out to be the case I can send interested parties Lat and Long of this 'road' for fuel system shakedowns,
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

I'll have the Lat/Long please, that way I can plan my route and completely miss the area
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Makes me think why the filler neck is offset.
      97 R1100R
      Previous

Comment

Update. Ran a bottle of Redex through and made things much better.
        Before all this happened the bike seemed to have no cold blooded time. Get it started and once you are rolling you could get rid of choke.
        Now it takes a few miles before it will take big throttle inputs and it is more sensitive to choke at start. It will rev to 5000+ unless you do something and small changes make bigger differences.
        Running out of excuses not to pull and clean.
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          before you get too ambitious, find some long downhills, head down at speed ,then open/close throttle repeatedly- this might put more vacuum on idle/ mixture circuits
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom. We live in a deep hollow so I have a choice of hills.
            I always put the head down at speed
            97 R1100R
            Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              Before all this happened the bike seemed to have no cold blooded time. Get it started and once you are rolling you could get rid of choke.
              Now it takes a few miles before it will take big throttle inputs and it is more sensitive to choke at start. It will rev to 5000+ unless you do something and small changes make bigger differences.
              Yep, a proper cleaning is the way to go. But you knew that...
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
              X