Change exhaust clamp #2 and #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change exhaust clamp #2 and #3

Looking at the parts fiches (550 in this case); I can't help but wonder how one would change those? The 2 and 3 pipes don't seem to detach from the mufflers. Or am I wrong?
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

You are not wrong.

Most of the GS bikes had one detachable pipe and one that was basically one piece, from flange to muffler tip.
    The flange on the long pipe could not be changed without cutting and welding.

Comment

Oh man. I'm asking because I'm quite certain that I will have to replace the inner clamps/flanges at some point. And the exhausts are made of unobtanium.

Any pointers on how to go about this, and staying stock?
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
        And the exhausts are made of unobtanium.
        I like that.

Why would you see the need to replace them? Rust?
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
          (...)
          Why would you see the need to replace them? Rust?
          Yes, #2 and #3 on the bike in question are rusty. #1 and #4 have been replaced at some point by a PO, as one of the screws for #3.

I'm just foreseeing the inevitable and like to get my research done beforehand.

I'm going to provide some pictures later on, so the more experienced can tell me the condition of the flanges.

Comment

Here's a couple of my ideas. Anyone can chime in and critique this because I don't know how practical it would be. One idea is expressed in the thumbnail and the other is to bore the clamp out to receive a two piece keeper somewhat like #1 and #4.
            Attached Files
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
              Here's a couple of my ideas. Anyone can chime in and critique this because I don't know how practical it would be. One idea is expressed in the thumbnail and the other is to bore the clamp out to receive a two piece keeper somewhat like #1 and #4.
              The thumbnail's a neat idea!

I'm not sure about the structural integrity however, and I have no idea about the forces exerted on these parts, and about the seal. I'm going to take off the exhaust off the second bike to get a better overview.

Comment

Working...
              X