Rejetting for straight pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting for straight pipes?

So I have a recently acquired 1983 GS650GL, which happens to have straight pipes on it. Everything else non-cosmetic is stock to my knowledge. Anyway, it starts to sputter at about 60mph. My question is what size jet would be optimal for this model and exhaust setup?

Thank you,
    Boh

My question is which exhaust would work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
      My question is which exhaust would work better.
      You're saying going back to stock pipes would be best?

Comment

Originally posted by bohisboh View Post
        Definitely

No rejetting, or jet kit. No endless fiddling around with the carbs. Your neighbors don't hate you

You'll lose 2 hp and gain 8-10 mph

What could be better?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Stock is always best. The problem is finding them. Aftermarket is an option but that might involve jetting also however a slighter jump in carburetion.

Do a search, plenty of members here to help. I run stock whenever possible.

Comment

Straight pipes are for losers. Be responsible and caring, install mufflers. Harley castoffs are readily available and cheap. Places like JC Whitney sell Dunstall replica mufflers that are reputed to have a throaty sound but not obnoxious.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Definitely

No rejetting, or jet kit. No endless fiddling around with the carbs. Your neighbors don't hate you

You'll lose 2 hp and gain 8-10 mph

What could be better?
              I hear you. That would be a lot less headache. From that point what would be the best route to imitate the current raw sound? Also it's matte black so I'd also just repaint? Or do any come in black. Thanks and pardon all the questions I'm new to this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Straight pipes are for losers. Be responsible and caring, install mufflers. Harley castoffs are readily available and cheap. Places like JC Whitney sell Dunstall replica mufflers that are reputed to have a throaty sound but not obnoxious.
                Right on! Thanks answered my other questions.

Comment

Dennis Kirk has good prices also with free ship.

Black available depending on style.

Comment

Since you've just recently acquired this bike you may want to consider doing some basic maintenance on it. Some of your issues may be simply resolved by doing that.

Once you've replaced the stupid straight pipes then consider doing a complete valve adjustment and then a complete strip and dip of your carbs.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yeah absolutely some of that has been done i.e. oil change, brake fluid etc. That's down the road but is definitely something I'd like to have done, first being able to ride down the road decently

Comment

Yeah absolutely some of that has been done i.e. oil change, brake fluid etc. That's down the road but is definitely something I'd like to have done, first being able to ride down the road decently
                        You'll find that properly cleaning the carbs, making sure there are no intake/exhaust leaks, and doing a valve adjustment are prerequisites to rejetting because they effect the jetting. In fact, doing those basic maintenance items might clear up your problem and you might not have to rejet. Then you can decide whether to replace the straight pipes or put on some sort of muffler and jet appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by dantodd View Post
                          You'll find that properly cleaning the carbs, making sure there are no intake/exhaust leaks, and doing a valve adjustment are prerequisites to rejetting because they effect the jetting. In fact, doing those basic maintenance items might clear up your problem and you might not have to rejet. Then you can decide whether to replace the straight pipes or put on some sort of muffler and jet appropriately.
                          Makes perfect sense to me. Is there any black exhaust systems you would recommend that would fit this make/model whilst still achieving a throaty sound? I've been attempting to dig but don't know the first thing.

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me. Is there any black exhaust systems you would recommend that would fit this make/model whilst still achieving a throaty sound? I've been attempting to dig but don't know the first thing.
                            I'm still new here too so I done have a ton of experience across the GS line. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust. But if straight slip on will fit is try the harley mufflers. They're plentiful and cheap, I sometimes see them on Craigslist for $50 for q pair. (on my bike the header ends underneath and I need mid pipes or bent muffler)

Comment

Measure your header diameter and see if these will fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X