Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Vance and Hines on a 1981 GS1100E

Howdy all,

I have a Vance & Hines 4 into 1 header with megaphone kit on my 1100. Unfortunately the muffler is rusted out but the header is in very good condition. I have a query into Dennis Kirk about the availability of a V&H direct replacement muffler but I'm not confident since it wasn't on the V&H website. I also was just wondering what are the other options short of removing a perfectly serviceable header from my bike.

You can find a vance Hines megaphone on e bay. There are usually some for sale.
    There are other megaphone style mufflers that could fit your header. Just message the seller and ask them for an ACCURATE i.d. of the megaphone.
    The problem is matching the angle of the megaphone as they have a bend in them.
    Post a pic of yours so people have a visual of exactly what you have.

Comment

Sorry, I should have included the part number. It's the V&H 12001

Comment

I may have one for sale. The 4-1 megaphone system on my bike (850) came to me brand new. It's a mac. I am using the header but a different muffler/megaphone.
        Look at this. It has a universal type slot in the back to have an adjustable hanger location.
        Let me know if this looks like something you would be interested in.
        Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/151221272123

The megaphone is 20.5 inches end to end.
        2.5" id inlet and 3-7/8" id at the end.
        No scratches. Couple tiny rust specs. Very good shape. Only 50 miles on it. It was installed on my (now my)850, 12 years ago and never ran. I finished bolting it on and put 50 miles on it to make sure the bike ran before I rebuilt it.
        Let me know if you want pics or other measurements.

Comment

IMG_20160517_204447.jpg

Pictures....

Comment

IMG_20160517_204453.jpg

Pictures.....

Comment

IMG_20160517_204509.jpg

Pictures......

Comment

Thanks loud et. I think mine has an offset not just a bend. I'll take it off in the am and measure/take pictures. Does your mac header end under the frame or along side the frame?

Comment

It's more underneath than next to the lower frame rail.
                  Where the header pipe ends it starts to poke out from underneath to the side of the bike.

Comment

20160422_222316.jpg

The forward most clamp is where the header ends.

Comment

Sorry to leave you hanging. My header is 2" ID

Comment

Hey that's a good thibg. There are way more slip on mufflers in the 2" range than 2.5".
                        If you can't find a Vance & Hines megaphone then you will have many many other options at 2 inches

Comment

Working...
                        X