GS750 Carb Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Carb Help

This is my first post here but certainly not my first time being here. Between this site and BikeCliff's, I finished my senior project, which was electrical work on my 1980 GS850G. That was my first experience working on a motorcycle and I'm hooked!

Now, I have a 1978 GS750 that's missing the carbs and waiting for a lot of love. After perusing the glorious interwebs, I've concluded that a set of Mikuni carbs will break my college student sized bank. On the local Craigslist is a 1981 Honda CB750 engine/tranny with carbs for (what seems like a killer deal) $150. Does anyone know if the carbs are interchangeable? What would I have to look for (diameters, spacing, etc)? I'm in no way set on Honda carbs, so I'm open to other carb suggestions so long as I can get them cheap and they're decent carbs. I'm mostly just looking for a relatively inexpensive alternative to get this rat on the road for Evel Knievel days in July. I've done a bit of research on this possible swap and I have found a little, and I mean VERY little info. I don't want to spend money if it won't work so I'm hoping someone here knows. Thanks for any and all help!

I think a cheaper and better idea would be to visit the "parts for sale" here regularly and post up in the "parts wanted" for stock carbs.
    The Suzuki VM carbs are easier to work on than the Honda CV.

Welcome back to the site.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If you are not in a hurry you can keep a watch also on ebay. I'm replacing the 29's on my 750 to bring it back to stock and found a set for $80 but it took 4 months of watching. You might also put up an ad in the wanted section. You never know you may find someone here who has a set cheap.
      1982 GS750EZ
      1978 GS750EC

Comment

I found a parts bike and all four carbs with K&N air cleaners. The seller let me take just those so now my project is ready to continue! I'm expecting to have to figure out how to jet them, but that'll be a ways down the road. Glad you guys encouraged the Suzuki carbs!

Comment

Working...
        X