Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS540T engine cut out

Good morning,

I am a new rider and just purchased my first motorcycle a week ago. It is a 1981 GS450T. I've been riding happily until this morning, when the engine began losing power before ultimately cutting out. The oil light came on. I was able to get the bike restarted, but it died again less than a minute later. I did not want to keep trying to start/ride the bike as I figure the oil light is telling me something. No time to start pulling things apart for a few days (work!) but I figured this may be an issue that is familiar to some of you. I appreciate any help/advice you may have. Thanks!

Josh

Time for maintenance before you kill yourself and the bike. Do not believe anything was done right till you check it yourself. Go here and read while you wait to get your hands dirty.

if motor stops, oil light will come on as nothing is pumping.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How much gas is in the tank?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hello!

Actually I'm not replying to this post but as a new comer into the forum, I just want to say hello to you old folks.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Time for maintenance before you kill yourself and the bike. Do not believe anything was done right till you check it yourself. Go here and read while you wait to get your hands dirty.

if motor stops, oil light will come on as nothing is pumping.
          Thanks for the link and the common sense reminder re the oil light. I certainly will be pulling things apart and putting them together again, but am wondering if anyone has any wisdom regarding this particular problem.

tkent- that was my first thing to check. Plenty of fuel, seems clean. Once I get my Clymer manual I'll sort through the fuel system and see if anything is clogging up the works... if my experience with boat motors is any indication, that's certainly a potential culprit.

Comment

Working...
          X