carb tuning and some extra stuff...help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb tuning and some extra stuff...help plz

Well back to the 82 gs1100g, again. I will admit I am not that knowledgeable as others when it comes to messing with carbs so please excuse any idiotic comments. I have a v&h 4 into 1 that was given to me by fellow rider to replace the completely demolished stock pipes, from the hit and run last year, that were on my bike. I installed the pipe on the bike, took it for a ride to get it warmed up, and stopped on the side of the road for a quick plug swap as fast as I could. Just a funny thing to mention, I somehow forgot how hot plugs get when the motor is hot and now have a part of my finger burned smooth. Anyway, I got the plug swap with some new plugs, properly gapped, and took off. Got the bike up to about 80mph and pulled the clutch and killed it all at the same time. I then pulled the plugs labeling which cylinder each one came from and put he old still good ones back in and went home. Did a chop and found that I went lean, figured that would happen. Well the only other jets I had were from the carbs that I bought on ebay. The main for all four in this set was a 135 so I switched em out and did it all over again. Now I am running rich enouph to put a nice layer of black soot on the plugs. I thought hey cool lets get a little more air in there by putting some pods on it. Did the chop all over again and still rich, still sooty just not as bad and i can start to see a definite fuel ring. So where do I go from here. The carbs have been bench synced pretty dang good, I was very meticulous with that, and the plugs look almost identical. The bike tends to back fire and pop a little when engine braking and every once in a while when riding in the mid to high RPM range. Also do I need to do a vacuum sync and if so, does anyone know how much something like that might cost? I will probably have to take it some where for that because of my limited knowledge and tools needed. Everything I have done so far is just following advice from the forum. Also since I put the pods on I really like the cleaner look but what do I do with the oil breather since there is no where to run the hose now?

Personally I would go back to the stock air box, up the mains to 120 while raising the needle jet a hair. Usually replacing the stock plastic needle spacer with 3 washers does the trick. When going pods you really should go with a Dynojet kit to save frustration. They've done the work to get it right using pods.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks man, I probably will just do a dynojet stage 1/3 kit. I did look them up and from what I can tell I am not that far off, they also look pretty simple to install.

Comment

Working...
      X