Switch to Manual Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to Manual Petcock

Petcock was leaking, took it apart, rebuilt, no leak but vacuum stopped working. Would love to switch to a manual petcock. If I install a manual petcock, do I need to cap the vacuum port on my carbs? 1980 450st btw. Thanks!

Yes.......
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Not sure about 450s but the larger 4s have a 44mm offset between mount bolts. Pingel makes an adapter that just screws onto the tank and has a hole for installing a manual petcock. All the manual petcocks are pretty much the same size; be they for Japanese bikes of a Harley that screw in. Even the inexpensive manual petcocks are rebuildable and you can find one for about $20. The Pingel version (higher quality) is quite a bit more. I think you can get these parts from Z1Enterprises.com and if not JPCycles.com has them.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly its 39 mm spacing.

Bought mine from Dennis Kirk. No tax, free ship.

Comment

The GS1000 and GS1100 are 44mm I believe; not sure about other models but I would measure to be safe. You can also buy a BLANK adapter; just has the threaded hole for the petcock and YOU drill the holes for mounting. They work fine as well. They also sell offset adapters where the hole is towards one end in the event there is clearance issues with the carb assy.

Comment

If you go with a Pingel on the GS450 S tank, you'll need to trim the tube that goes inside as well (IIRC). The pickup tube is a little too tall and the side of the tank is slanted near the petcock.

Comment

thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X