Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Blue Pipes"

Hi folk's,
    It's been a long while but took out the 80 GS850L with Motad 4into 1and std air box/filter this afternoon for a short 50 mile run, not at any high speeds but boy did she go well, accelerating decelerating, sweet as a nut and better than I'd remembered or even thought she could go.
    I'd done the valves less than 1000miles ago and the carbs had new 0 rings about the same time from RB, the carbs were checked and re cleaned/synchronised yesterday and the floats set at 21.9mm, .5 less than the optimum but still well within the recommendations. I set the floats at this level to increase the fuel to air mixture ??? as there was slight discolouration/blue on the headers, now problem is the blue could be 5" and the discolouration much further.
    As far as I know the timing has never been touched and I checked through other threads but none specific to my circumstances.
    I did notice however that the rubber boot down the back side of the air box was missing, could this be the culprit ? and is that rubber boot on 80 850L the same as any other model's as we don't have L's here ? and said rubber boot might be difficult to source.
    many thanks and Good Luck, Stephen.

"Love those L's"
    Last edited by Chromedome; 06-02-2016, 08:40 PM. Reason: Xxx

The snorkles primary purpose is to keep the intake air above the wheel slop be it dirt or rain. If its bluing the pipes its lean from some source other than just a missing snorkle.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

just thinking,

I shortened the length of the rubber boots "2" Id radiator hose, by 1/2" after it is in the air box, still in there by 3/4" and bevelled with a sharp knife the id and od of that end. The air filter was carefully washed but was not oiled, no oil at all.
      !!!!!!!!Small hose only 4mm from tank to the carb's ???

"Love those L's"
      Last edited by Chromedome; 06-03-2016, 06:49 AM. Reason: Xxxxxx

Comment

I have a motad on my gs850 and it goes blue, I believe it is down to it being a single skin pipe the originals have a pipe within a pipe (double skin) this was done to eliminate the discolouring of the outer pipe.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
          I have a motad on my gs850 and it goes blue, I believe it is down to it being a single skin pipe the originals have a pipe within a pipe (double skin) this was done to eliminate the discolouring of the outer pipe.
          Was thinking of this but considered this blue,ing was excessive.
          The pipe from the tap/peacock is only 4mm I'd !!!
          The air/fuel/mixture screws are at 3 full turns out from lightly seated and not tweaked !!!
          Don't have starting fluid so sprayed the whole area between the engine and air box inc the carbs with Wd40, Brake cleaner, and finally Butane from a pencil torch with not a bit of difference.
          Just pulled the plug's and although there's only 50 miles from a clean they all look at least rich, even black enough.

"Love those L's"
          Last edited by Chromedome; 06-03-2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            The snorkles primary purpose is to keep the intake air above the wheel slop be it dirt or rain. If its bluing the pipes its lean from some source other than just a missing snorkle.
            Well Chuck, that's a start, least I know now they are called snorkle's and because it's missing is not the problem.

"Love those L's"
            Last edited by Chromedome; 06-03-2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I would get one to keep the water and dirt splash off the rear wheel from getting sucked into the airbox. Its goona get some at some point, but way way less with the snorkle on.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X