Couple quick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple quick questions

Alrighty well I'm happy to report it's runs. Hooked up the tank and she fired up after a little cranking. Now only problem is it instantly started running at about 4500rpm. So I backed out the idle stop all the way and no change. So now took the tank back off after a little messing with it and realize there's no play in the throttle so I'll fix that. What's a normal idle for these engines? Just wondering about where I'm shooting for? All in all pretty happy so far for a bike that hadn't run in a long time. Sorry for the rambling just excited.
    Ride On
    Todd W
    85 GS550ES

Workshop manual says 1000-1200 rpm
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Thanks man couldn't find it
      Ride On
      Todd W
      85 GS550ES

Comment

Alrighty I've now lengthemed out the throttle cable as much as possible and backed out the idle screw as far as she'll go and no change yet so not sure where to look next but can't complain at least I'm making process
        Ride On
        Todd W
        85 GS550ES

Comment

Originally posted by NHTodd View Post
          Alrighty I've now lengthemed out the throttle cable as much as possible and backed out the idle screw as far as she'll go and no change yet so not sure where to look next but can't complain at least I'm making process
          If there is slack in the throttle cables then I would look for an air leak. If the cables are still tight then you need to find out why. You should be able to adjust them so that the throttle twists 1/4" or more before the cables go tight, if you can't then something is wrong. What intake setup and exhaust are you running? Is jetting correct for the arrangement you have?

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Ok yeah it's instant on the throttle no play at all and the cable is routed correctly no kinks or nothing. Right now it has no filter or airbox connected. It has a 4-1 on it. This is the first time this bike was fired in I don't know how long been slowly getting it back together in the last couple weeks since I bought it.
            Ride On
            Todd W
            85 GS550ES

Comment

You need to find out why you cannot get free play in the cable, are the handle bars standard or are they high bars?
              if they are high you will have to find a longer cable or fit standard bars.
              Make sure you fit the air box (correctly sealed) and lightly oiled filter.
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

You can't just have no type of filter on. The bike is gonna breath in way to much air and give you the high rpm. Best to put the airbox back on

Comment

The bars are just the stock bars that came with the bike. Yeah not sure why the cable won't slack out maybe is not the stock cable or something I'll work with it more today definitely get the airbox and filter installed gotta get some boots and a filter first.
                  Ride On
                  Todd W
                  85 GS550ES

Comment

Working...
                  X