82 gs 750 carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs 750 carb question

Hey guys/gala newbie here! I love the site. I just got a 82 gs 750. The guy before me put pods on and rejected the carb and couldn't get it to run. So I inherited his fun!

I've hat it started here and there but I'm not finished trying different jet combos yet. Here's my question. Where the heck is the mixture screw on this bike? The idle knob is in the middle but where's the mixture screw. I've searched the forums but I couldn't locate a answer. There not on the side and im lost. Are there individual mix screws on each carb? Thanks yall

If my carbs had pods on them, I would "reject" them, too.

Hopefully you are not hoping to simply twist a screw or two and go for a ride. Any time you get a 'new' bike, there is a LONG list of things that you need to check over before hitting the road.

Very early on the list, you should check valve clearances. There are only 16 to check, so it won't take long. Next, you need to clean the carbs, unless the bike you got was a daily driver. Since the previous owner couldn't get it to run, it obviously hasn't run for a while. While you are cleaning/rebuilding the carbs, you can verify what jets are in it to see if he really DID change them.

Now to (finally) answer your question: there are individual mixture screws on each carb. Since you don't see them, they are probably still sealed from the factory, which is also an indication of the overall condition of the carbs. Those screws were set lean at the factory to meet EPA requirements. Over the years, the condition of the carbs has not improved, neither has the gasoline, so they need to be adjusted for current conditions.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If my carbs had pods on them, I would "reject" them, too.

Hopefully you are not hoping to simply twist a screw or two and go for a ride. Any time you get a 'new' bike, there is a LONG list of things that you need to check over before hitting the road.

Very early on the list, you should check valve clearances. There are only 16 to check, so it won't take long. Next, you need to clean the carbs, unless the bike you got was a daily driver. Since the previous owner couldn't get it to run, it obviously hasn't run for a while. While you are cleaning/rebuilding the carbs, you can verify what jets are in it to see if he really DID change them.

Now to (finally) answer your question: there are individual mixture screws on each carb. Since you don't see them, they are probably still sealed from the factory, which is also an indication of the overall condition of the carbs. Those screws were set lean at the factory to meet EPA requirements. Over the years, the condition of the carbs has not improved, neither has the gasoline, so they need to be adjusted for current conditions.

Definitly not looking to ride right now, it's in my basement lol.. Carbs have been cleaned, I downsized the jets from what he had because I felt the were overkill even with pods. Carbs are nice and clean, I pulled floats clean the needle, soaked everything, blew it out with carb cleaner. Next is the valves. I just wanted to know the location because once I'm ready to tune, I need it. Plus I couldn't find them and it errked me.

Comment

Cleaning the carbs includes removing all sets and the mixture screws to properly dunk each of them for 24 hours. Take a look on Basscliff's site for the carb cleaning/rebuild tutorial developed by Nessism; you can find the site at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X