Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS 650 glz - Carburation issue (probly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS 650 glz - Carburation issue (probly)

OK, this is my first post, your patience is requested. I've read the Newbie Mistakes etc.
    Just brought a fairly low mileage bike back from the near dead. I will describe the behavior, and then I'll list what's been done:
    The bike starts quickly, idles, and runs smoothly and fine at low and medium speeds, has good low end pull. At 4500-5000 rpm it starts to flatten out, and it won't rev much past 6K. When idling, it smells rich to me, and doesn't require much choke to start (summer temps tho). The plugs are on the sooty side.
    Fuel tank's been cleaned. A new petcock. Valves have been adjusted. New plugs, rectifier. It's got new intake tubes and o-rings, cleaned carbs and new o-rings, 6-Sigma jet kit as prescribed for the K&N dual pod air filters, and drilled exhaust. Floats have been adjusted, but I'm not terribly confident here about my accuracy and will check them when I pull the carbs again. Needles have been raised somewhat by changing the little washers.

Is it likely that it's fuel starvation at higher speed due to improper float settings? Maybe a combination of too rich jets and too low float level?

I'm thinking it's a carburation problem, but would also wonder about the coils, in my experience weak coils can peter out at the higher revs.

Any guidance on what to check next? What is the spec resistance for the coils?
    Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by upb4dawn View Post
    The bike starts quickly, idles, and runs smoothly and fine at low and medium speeds, has good low end pull. At 4500-5000 rpm it starts to flatten out, and it won't rev much past 6K.
    Without knowing what throttle opening you are running it is impossible to know what circuit your carbs are using. Pilot covers idle to 1/8 or so, then the needle controls 1/8 to ~3/8, then main jets above that. There is overlap between these, but that is the basic setup. To test the various circuits put a piece of tape on your throttle housing and mark 0 to full throttle in increments of 1/8 throttle. Then go for a ride and see where it is giving you trouble. When you get into the area that is giving trouble try pulling the choke/enrichener knob. If it runs better and pulls harder then you are lean, if it bogs just a bit you are pretty close and if it bogs badly then you are rich.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

When you adjusted the needles "by changing the little washers", exactly what did you do?

On the needle, from top to bottom:
      Thick nylon spacer
      Circlip
      Thin metal washer
      Spring

What did you change, what did you adjust, please list for each item.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        Without knowing what throttle opening you are running it is impossible to know what circuit your carbs are using. Pilot covers idle to 1/8 or so, then the needle controls 1/8 to ~3/8, then main jets above that. There is overlap between these, but that is the basic setup. To test the various circuits put a piece of tape on your throttle housing and mark 0 to full throttle in increments of 1/8 throttle. Then go for a ride and see where it is giving you trouble. When you get into the area that is giving trouble try pulling the choke/enrichener knob. If it runs better and pulls harder then you are lean, if it bogs just a bit you are pretty close and if it bogs badly then you are rich.

Mark
        I'll mark as you suggested and make note, but I can't get it past 5500-6 no matter what the throttle opening is. At about 1/2+ throttle, nothing. The only thing that changes is the intake sound.....

Thanks,
        Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          When you adjusted the needles "by changing the little washers", exactly what did you do?

On the needle, from top to bottom:
          Thick nylon spacer
          Circlip
          Thin metal washer
          Spring

What did you change, what did you adjust, please list for each item.

Thanks.
          The stock layout is the one you described.
          With the Jet Kit, the instructions were to put the spacers below the clip. So, in my case now it's: clip, small white nylon spacer that came w/ the clip, a thin washer, and then the spring. The intention is to raise the needle.
          Thoughts?
          Doug

Comment

Sounds like something that just happened to me. I installed a dynojet stage 3 kit and I was constantly rich. Turns out I over oiled my pods.
            Do you think you possibly did that t?
            Quick test: remove the pods and see if you get full throttle response all the way to redline.
            Here is my story from this week:

Comment

Thanks.

I didn't oil the pods at all. I've read both "oil them" and "don't oil them". I figured it would always be easier to ad oil than wash it out.

Doug

Comment

With the Jet Kit, the instructions were to put the spacers below the clip. So, in my case now it's: clip, small white nylon spacer that came w/ the clip, a thin washer, and then the spring. The intention is to raise the needle.
                Thoughts?
                Doug
                Anything added below the clip only increases the spring pressure. What really matters is the difference in what is ABOVE the clip.

With nothing above the clip, you have raised it the maximum possible. I don't see that preventing operation above 5k, but it will make it run a bit rich above 1/2 throttle.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks. The nylon spacer that came with the kit (white) is slightly thinner than the stock spacer (brownish). So, perhaps I'll try moving them above the clip, thus raising the needle only a small amount. I'll go down one size on the main jets (now 142.5 center two and 145 outer two carbs...will go to 140 center and 142.5 outer), and re-check the float level, too.

Doug

Comment

Thanks. The nylon spacer that came with the kit (white) is slightly thinner than the stock spacer (brownish). So, perhaps I'll try moving them above the clip, thus raising the needle only a small amount. I'll go down one size on the main jets (now 142.5 center two and 145 outer two carbs...will go to 140 center and 142.5 outer), and re-check the float level, too.

Doug
                    Is it running rich at WOT and the middle? Unless you have a lot of experience I'd make ONE change at a time. You'd hate to over lean and not know which adjustment did it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Doug
                      OK, now I have a BUNCH of new questions.

The stock '82 650 uses 110 main jets. With K&N filters, I might expect 117.5 or 120. Your "drilled" exhaust probably did nothing to enhance any airflow, so no jetting change required, unless you drilled out the entire baffle. The Mikuni 120 is the same as a Dynojet 128 or a Kehin 138. I have no idea what numbering system 6 Sigma uses, so I don't know if your 142.5 and 145 are simply "too large" or "WAY too large". Plug checks will have to be done. (Have you done any yet?)

Another thing: why are you using two different-sized main jets? The only bikes that came that way stock were the '83 and up 550 and the 1150.

Before you make any changes, try reading the plugs to see what is really happening when you have the problem. Find a stretch of road where you can run the bike to its problem point of 6000 RPM. Hold the throttle there for at least half a minute, if you can. Pull the clutch, hit the kill switch, coast to a safe spot where you can pull the plugs to check their color. Let us know what you find.

One last question about your "drilled" exhaust. Did you drill the small holes around the perimeter of the main hole? Or something a bit more drastic? The L exhaust sounds funny enough. Drilling the holes around the main hole just add some crappy noise, not really pleasant at all. And they don't do much to enhance airflow, which is where any performance gains are realized.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

OK, more questions are good.
                        When I ordered the jet kit, they (6-Sigma) ask questions regarding intake and exhaust mods, and most common riding elevation (in my case: sea level to 1500').
                        The jets provided by them are supposedly matched to the modifications and riding locale. In my case K & N dual pods (two carbs per filter) and drilled mufflers (center and small holes around -- came that way, not my favorite choice, but ... my budget doesn't support $350 for 4/1 and I'm hesitant to cut the system mufflers off for clamp on's).
                        They sent 4 new pilot jets (all the same @ 47.5), and 6 main jets in 3 pair, recommending the richer one go in the center pair of cylinders (I wrote the combo wrong on a previous post), giving you two choices. IE: 140/142.5, and 142.5/145. The jump up in sizes did seem big to me from 110 (stock). They also sent nylon spacers, several sets of thin washers (aka needle shims), and some reasonably good (seemingly so) instructions. I've read on-line other folk's satisfaction w/ this vendor's products ("it has to be true, I read it on the internet..").

FYI- I've had 7 bikes, and I've worked on them all. The last two are fuel injected, and I made changes with them as well, all successfully ('99 BMW and '97 Moto Guzzi). This bike is for my daughter, who picked it up cheap, and wanted a cafe racer style bike on a budget. This one's a great bike, just the right size for this project, and so far has been a pleasure to work on. This last part's a mite frustrating, I must say.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dantodd View Post
                          Is it running rich at WOT and the middle? Unless you have a lot of experience is make ONE change at a time. You'd hate to over lean and not know which adjustment did it.
                          Even having a lot of experience it is far, far easier to sort carburation when you make one change at a time. Most of the people on this site who complain about how it is impossible to get a bike to run well with pods try to make wholesale changes and never manage to sort it out. Jetting isn't that hard, it is just tedious and slow. You have to start at one end (I recommend the pilot circuit) and work your way through to the other end one change at a time, keeping lots of notes and details along the way.

Mark
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks. Recommendation duly noted.
                            As for 'starting with the pilot circuit', would you recommend putting everything back to stock, then change just the pilot jets?

Comment

Personally, I would make a few changes, mostly getting back toward stock.

First, get some "steel putty", plug up the perimeter holes. The only thing they are doing is adding to an already questionable sound. When the putty sets, you can paint the patches black, they will be rather inconspicuous.

Second, put the stock pilot jets in. Jetting needs are based on air flow. Even the most radical race-prepped bike will not flow much more air AT IDLE, so there is no need to increase the pilot jets, and certainly not two sizes.

Third, examine the thickness of the nylon spacer they provided for the needle. If it is a bit thinner than the stock one, great. Put it ABOVE the clip. The usual practice is to substitute a stack of washers for the stock nylon spacer, shooting for about 1/2 to 2/3 the original thickness. If you have enough washers that they supplied, you can explore that option, too.

Fourth, since we don't know how 6 Sigma sizes their jets, go with the smallest jets you have available that are larger than stock. Something around 120 would be good, if you have them.

Finally, what are the settings on your mixture screws? Their main affect is on the pilot circuit, but they do contribute to the overall mixture all the time. Because you are using pilot jets that are two sizes larger than stock, if your mixture screws are also turned out a bit farther than stock, you might simply be adding more fuel when it's not needed, espcially since your needles are too high and your main jets are too large.

By the way, have you had a chance to check plug color yet?

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X