Increase in jet size on Mains ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increase in jet size on Mains ?

I am thinking of going up from 107.5 mains to 110 or 112.5 . Mikuni CV BS34SS carbs, stock bike, except for 4 into 1 exhaust. Will I need to change pilot jets too? Thanks
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

I was incorrectly assuming an 1100E 16V

110 seems too little for a CA bike that is running lean to start with and teh 4:1 is only making it worse. Pods would require a jet it.

go 112.5 and see how it runs. Bike is totally stock except for 4:1 pipes correct?
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-08-2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      110 seems too little for a CA bike that is running lean to start with and teh 4:1 is only making it worse. Pods would require a jet it.

go 112.5 and see how it runs. Bike is totally stock except for 4:1 pipes correct?
      Yes stock. except exhaust. stumbles a little on exceleration. Pulls to red line but just seems a little off. I have the washers (3) on the needles helped a lot. I can't think of any other adjustment to make.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
        I am thinking of going up from 107.5 mains to 110 or 112.5 . Mikuni CV BS34SS carbs, stock bike, except for 4 into 1 exhaust. Will I need to change pilot jets too? Thanks
        I ran 120 main jets and 42.5 pilots and shimmed the needles on my 1000ST. Airbox witha drop-in K&N filter. I also cut the breather holes; made a large oval out of the two circular holes. It ran great. I was in AZ at the time 1200ft elevation.

Comment

How did you shim the needles? Did you replace the spacer on top of the clip or place the washers under the clip?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
            I ran 120 main jets and 42.5 pilots and shimmed the needles on my 1000ST. Airbox witha drop-in K&N filter. I also cut the breather holes; made a large oval out of the two circular holes. It ran great. I was in AZ at the time 1200ft elevation.
            Whoops I did not realize we were talking about a 8V 1000E; I was assuming an 1100E. Yours is probably a very good benchmark for the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              How did you shim the needles? Did you replace the spacer on top of the clip or place the washers under the clip?
              the washers are on top of the clip. replaced spacer.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

The needles need to be higher relative to the slide. Shims need to go on the needles beneath the C-clip.

I used the process described by Joe Minton (I think) at the time; move the plastic spacer from above the C-clip to beneath it.

Comment

Just for reference, the stock jets in 82 for an 1100SZ were 110 mains and 45 pilots and were still a bit lean. Don't have the 1980 E specs. Calif. sure got screwed on the jetting though. I'd up the mains to 120, leave your pilots and raised needles and see how she goes. The 4-1 exhaust will be more a top end thing then in the pilot range.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    Just for reference, the stock jets in 82 for an 1100SZ were 110 mains and 45 pilots and were still a bit lean. Don't have the 1980 E specs. Calif. sure got screwed on the jetting though. I'd up the mains to 120, leave your pilots and raised needles and see how she goes. The 4-1 exhaust will be more a top end thing then in the pilot range.
                    Pretty sure he's running a 1000ET...107.5 main, 40 pilots

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                      The needles need to be higher relative to the slide. Shims need to go on the needles beneath the C-clip.

I used the process described by Joe Minton (I think) at the time; move the plastic spacer from above the C-clip to beneath it.
                      I don't have the plastic spacer on the needles. my needles are not adjustable.
                      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Sorry for the typo, the jet sizes I was quoting is for a 1982 1000SZ not an 1100 so are still relevant. No huge difference between a 1000E and a 1000S engine wise.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I need to cancel this thread for now. I'm goin to re-clean these carbs and recheck everything. The idle is crazy up and down. I thought I had it dialed in but something is wrong. These carbs never gave me trouble like this before. Thanks
                          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

I don't have the plastic spacer on the needles. my needles are not adjustable.
                            Yes they are.

I need to cancel this thread for now. I'm goin to re-clean these carbs and recheck everything. The idle is crazy up and down. I thought I had it dialed in but something is wrong. These carbs never gave me trouble like this before. Thanks
                            What did you change right before the craziness started?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              Sorry for the typo, the jet sizes I was quoting is for a 1982 1000SZ not an 1100 so are still relevant. No huge difference between a 1000E and a 1000S engine wise.
                              An 82 1000SZ is a 16-valve engine while 1980 1000E or S are 8-valve engines, There is a significant difference between 16 and 8-valve engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X