trying to find spark plug order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to find spark plug order

Hey guys, I have a 1983 GS1100E and i had done some rebuilding and forgot the order of firing process. can someone tell me which plugs goto which wires? is there a picture somewhere? lol

Looking from the riding position, No.1 is on the left then 2,3,4.

The firing order is typically 1,3,4,2

If you are just wanting to connect the HT cables to the plugs then it's just 1 to the left, then 2 then 3 and 4.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

well then. lol. I wouldnt have thought it would be that easy. thank you.

Comment

To add to it, the left coil feeds 1 and 4, the right coil 2 and 3.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Just to add to the general confusion (or perhaps clear it up), a 4-cylinder GS uses a "wasted spark" ignition.

1 and 4 fire together on each revolution of the crankshaft and 2 and 3 fire together 180 degrees later.

When 1 is on the ignition cycle, 4 is on the exhaust cycle. The spark in 1 ignites the mixture, but the spark in 4 doesn't do anything at all. Same for 2 and 3.

The reason for all these extra sparks is that it greatly simplifies the ignition system -- there's no need to have a distributor or any moving parts, although you do need two coils instead of one. Other than a slightly increased rate of wear on the plugs, there isn't much downside.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thats quite simplistic. this is a good reason to own one of these. lol

Comment

Originally posted by GruntedGS View Post
              thats quite simplistic. this is a good reason to own one of these. lol
              It's not unique to Suzuki, pretty much every inline 4 motorcycle engine manufactured in the last 40 years or more has used this set up. It is light, simple and robust so everyone sticks with it.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Tons of cars used wasted spark setups. Even after electronic ignitions debuted, some systems still used a wasted spark for cost savings.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                X