Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 gs1000g carbs severely molested help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1000g carbs severely molested help!!

So all of the air/mix screws were set closed the number one head is stripped can't get a good bite on it to open it up. The head of the pilot jets are all stripped and stuck in so I can't remove them. On the number 1 carb the rubber plug is missing that caps the pilot screw... Does anyone know a technique to remove them without drilling or using an easy out? Also the bike is running no baffle and velocity stacks would it be ok to keep the rubber pilot jet caps removed? I have herd of guys doing this on other model bikes without negative affect. I have the mains size calculated and the also the needle clip setting but not sure how many turns out on the mixture screws start at 3 ? Any help you can offer I would appreciate

If they are already buggered up, I'd just try to clean them with a carb tool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-A...560233&vxp=mtr

4 Plugs $9.99

They say mixture crews don't do a whole lot after 2 turns out, but never say never. Specs on an Ozark 250 carb is 2 7/8 out. Much more than three and you may need to up the pilot jets which sounds like you may not be able to remove. You might be better starting with a better set of carbs. There are many members here that have spare sets lying about.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

3 of 4 on the pilots came out I got carb cleaner to pass through on the bad screw so hopefully I am in the clear the fuel mixture screw I know I can remove I have had lots of experience with that. But the question I was really hoping to get an answer for was if I can run it without the pilot caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hajek13 View Post
        But the question I was really hoping to get an answer for was if I can run it without the pilot caps?
        You need the plugs for it to run right...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

If you're going stacks and pipes you'll need to go with a Dynojet kit (3103) anyway unless you would like to spend many hours trying to get the jetting close. You'll need the stock pilot jets and pilot air jets but the mains, main air and needles will get replace with the kit.

You will need to get those mixture screws out and those ports cleaned. Without removing those screws you will never get the pilot circuit working right. If this set is too buggered up to get them out then you may want to consider starting with a better set.

As for how many turns out to put the mixture screws, start with 2.5 turns out. Contrary to what Gsrick said, the screws do work much past 2 turns. Some have adjusted them as far out as 4 turns in some applications.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
          X