Gs650e carb tuning for mac 4-1 and velocity stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650e carb tuning for mac 4-1 and velocity stacks

Good evening all. Ive been tinkering with this carb issue for a few nights and still cant get this issue sorted out.
    Bike is a gs650e with mac 4-1and short velocity stacks with a pantyhose for a filter.
    I have read that it was going to be hard to tune but tinkerers cant help but tinker...
    The bike ran great before i tore it down and modified it. Unfortunately it cant be reverted to stock, otherwise i would do it just to confirm that its a tuning issue.
    I installed a dynojet kit and am having pause/stutter issues cruising at 5700ish rpm in 5th gear. The exhaust has a different, "bogging" tone when it does the stuttering. It will only stutter for a short second then return to normal and repeat until i either let off the throttle or open it more.
    Im at about half throttle or so when this happens.

Things that ive tried:
    Smaller main jet down to a dj146
    Larger main jet up to dj160
    Adjusted fuel level to be within spec, higher and lower than spec by 2mm
    Lowered and raised needle clip from end grooves to middle at each main jet sizes
    New plugs
    Coil relay mod (had 10v at coils)

The issue is still there at all the different changes!
    I did a plug chop during the stuttering and the plugs turned out a bit on the darker side but not sooty and black.

I have not checked timing as i dont have a timing gun...yet. but could ignition timing affect steady cruising?

Other than the cruising issue, it runs great!

*** Solved *** as Mark suggested(and others) these CV carbs just did not want to work without some vacuum that the velocity stacks couldn't provide.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2016, 10:39 AM. Reason: solved

A tinkerer with panty hose?? Hmm, I remember my youth differently but Ok, have you tried thicker panty hose or something more restrictive airflow wise to help vacuum diaphragms out (the studdering stuff). With these shorty velocity stacks, you might be stressing the dynojet idea.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

At half throttle, wouldn't your needle be where you should be looking? I didn't notice anything about jet needle adjustments in your list of tuning. My 2 cents is play with the needle adjustment clips (or spacer thickness) and see if it changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
        I installed a dynojet kit and am having pause/stutter issues cruising at 5700ish rpm in 5th gear.
        What happens if you pull the choke while it is stuttering?

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          A tinkerer with panty hose?? Hmm, I remember my youth differently but Ok, have you tried thicker panty hose or something more restrictive airflow wise to help vacuum diaphragms out (the studdering stuff). With these shorty velocity stacks, you might be stressing the dynojet idea.
          I didnt go into more detail but i did try putting duct tape over part of the stacks to see if I was severely rich or something. No effect.

T3nrec - i did mention needle clip movements from one end to the other on all the different main jet sizes ive tried. No difference.

Pulling choke while stuttering makes it bog down even more but its more of a rich bog than the stuttering i feel.

Comment

You should have resisted the urge to tinker, especially when you don't know what you're doing.

Good luck!

Panty hose.... LMAO!!

Comment

I calculated for these carbs size (bs32), that 1.25mm should be ok, so 1.25mm is similar to a mikuni # 112.5 one... far from those of dynojet... maybe your smaller main jet is too large?

Comment

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
                I calculated for these carbs size (bs32), that 1.25mm should be ok, so 1.25mm is similar to a mikuni # 112.5 one... far from those of dynojet... maybe your smaller main jet is too large?
                Please explain how you "calculated" this, what formula did you use?
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

ok, so I apologize for my last message. There are some formulas to get the "right" carb diameter. If I consider, next to that a 32mm venturi diameter (BS32), a first formula to get the main jet is 0.05xd.
                  So if I have 32mm, I need a 1.60mm main jet. 1.60mm is the same like a dynojet #148 so I think that dynojet is right about that... and according to standard charts, #148 dynojet = mikuni #135 or # 137.5....

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                    You should have resisted the urge to tinker, especially when you don't know what you're doing.

Good luck!

Panty hose.... LMAO!!
                    What exactly is it that i dont know how to do ? How to solve a hiccup through the rpm range? Who could predict that? That was such a negative, non-value added comment.

Panty hose are actually used often on itb setups on cars. The stacks came with brass screens but it just wasnt fine enough for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
                      I considered that but when i run the 146, i get white plugs on a plug chop so it is actually too lean.

Comment

Put the stock airbox back on and it will run better than anything you can do with stacks - except at full throttle and high RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
                          T3nrec - i did mention needle clip movements from one end to the other on all the different main jet sizes ive tried. No difference
                          My bad, missed it first time around

Comment

Seems like a lot of effort and expense for a mod that adds zero functional benefit and a LOT of negative effect. No doubt this bike is some bobber/rat rod/cafe jobby.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not much helpful advice in this thread yet, so I'll try to help. I have the same engine, at least the same top end and carburetors on my 550, and I also cannot use a stock airbox. The 550 airbox won't fit the CV carbs which are positioned farther back than they are on the 550 head, and the 650 airbox won't fit in the 550 frame at all. I have K&N pods, the double ones since the singles also don't fit, a Kerker pipe and a Dynojet kit, haven't had the time to get it tweaked to perfection yet.

Can you please start with as detailed a description as you can about the problem? I read the first post a few times, not quite getting it. Is it only RPM related? Throttle positon related? Only happen in fifth gear?

Just a quick thought, if those jetting changes you have done have no effect, maybe it's the ignition?
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X