Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exhaust interchangable between gs500 (550?) and 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust interchangable between gs500 (550?) and 850?

When I was taking some readings on the charging system earlier today, i saw on the exhausts that the pipe I got was made for either gs500 or 550 (could not read the second digit properly).

I do have some deceleration popping, and were just thinking, could it be because of wrong exhaust pipes?

The popping doesnt bother me much, in fact, i like it. It makes me think of old memories when I was a kid and my grandfather came to visit on hist very old bike, which was popping a lot.

The pipe doesnt look damaged, except that some PO have had to weld it at two places and didnt do a very good job I think. It could be leaking from any of those two welds. (first weld is at the cone in the rear end, and second weld about 15 - 20 inches ahead towards the collector).

The reason for starting this thread is simply, are the exhausts interchangable without any problems between the gs500/gs550 and the 850? Or is there any possibility it could damage the engine if they arn't?

If I at some point would want to change the exhaust, can I
    look for any 4-1 system fitting any 4 cylinder GS?
    preferably without having to alter the carbs. Or do you have any suggestions of what exhaust system I should be looking for?

(I dont care much about roar and sound. As long as the bike performs well without too much tinkering.)

The exhausts are different, the 550 or 500 that you had in European market pipe diameter is smaller. I would think the bolt spacing is also not the same between those bikes. I have a couple engines here to measure if needed, 1is a 550 and a Euro 500. Also a 750 which has the same header clamps as an 850.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Hmm... interesting.
      Because the plate defenitely says gs500 or 550.
      Could it perhaps be that a PO have welded together the header pipes from a 850 with a muffler from a 550 or 500?

I can take a picture of it and post it here if anyone would be interested.

Comment

I did go and take a picture. A few to be more exact.
        I was curious to see what the weld looked like on the non visible side... and oh my god... the welder must either not have been professional, or was not paid paid enough to wanting to do a proper job.

Anyway... heres the picture of the stamped numbers on the exhaust (I rubbed of some more dirt using some thinner and saw it says gs550).

Edit: Uploaded pictues.
        numbers + weld.jpg
        Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

The weld from the non visible side.
          A horrible job IMHO.
          Glad it isn't visible!
          Weld1.jpg

Comment

That looks to be a bodge up system, there should be no weld in that area. The old system must have rusted out and they welded on the 550 units. The only visible weld is near the 2 into 1 collector where the silencer starts to taper out to a larger diameter. Have a look in the search bar for silencer/muffler options, or see some of my old posts about silencers.
            Last edited by uk gs nut; 06-12-2016, 04:52 AM.
            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
            X