GS650 carb adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 carb adjust

Hi, I'm new in the motocycle world and on this forum. I'm from Quebec in Canada and it's why english is not very good, my first language is french.. I buy a GS650 GL 1982 for first bike. After clean the carbs and install pod filter, I start the bike. No surprise, I need tu adjust the carbs. The bike need a inspection to return on road and I need he runs okay for it. Do you have a how to for adjust the carbs? I don't know where begin. My only experience on carb is on my old scooter, on one carb, it's easy, but four carbs, I'm lost a little bit. Thank you for the help.

When you say "install pod filter" , do you mean each carb now has its own filter, or you just replaced the foam filter in the airbox? How about a picture of your carb setup?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry, the pic is on the side

image.jpg

Comment

Sorry, I'm a little bit noob... But I would learn to adjust it by myself

Comment

I forget to say this ! I have 2 white spark plug and 2 black...

Comment

Since you installed the pod filters, do you have the original airbox/air filter setup? I hope so, cuz these critters are very fussy about intakes changes. They will start and idle OK with pods, but will perform poorly unless the carbs are reworked properly.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

As Tom says, you need to rejet the carbs. Purchasing a jet kit designed for pods is the simple option, but not the cheap one. Dynojet and Sigma sell jet kits. Also, those pods you bought are the cheapest and crappiest available. Geting some real K&N brand pods is highly recommend if you insist on using pods. All this hassle can be avoided by simply leaving the bike stock though.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would like to do a cafe racer with the bike. I already have the oem air box, but at the end, I don't want to see it on the bike. I have a lot of time to learn how to do for adjust it. I just need some help to know where begin.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

At the end, I would have custom exhaust and the pod filter on the bike. That is the only modification I will make.

Comment

It's your party, but it's going to take lots of work and money- $100 for decent pod set, $120 for a dynojet carb kit... Hopefully, this bike is in good mechanical shape, because it would be a pity to do all the work and discover a mechanical issue like bad transmission ,etc.
                    The advantage of starting with the stock airbox setup is then you have a base to compare to as you later make intake and exhaust changes.
                    Have a look at this link to see what proper carb cleaning involves.. It's challenging

1981 gs650L

Comment

I wouldn't want to discourage you from building a cafe-style ride, but as Tom says, starting from a baseline where you know the mechanics are both good and safe is a smart move. In the long run it will save you time and money.

If you are familiar with engines from another discipline (cars, trucks, planes, etc), then this is no more involved. If you are not, then I advise being cautious. Check things first, then plan a route of attack. If you don't, you'll encounter more down time, and more money spent acquiring parts. A small fortune can be doled out in shipping charges if you need a small bolt here, or some rubber fasteners there.

Have you ridden before? If not, then the best money you can spend is on a motorcycle rider course.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Yes it's my first bike, and I know it will be a big challenge, but I have the time because I think not ride this bike this summer, just next summer. I buy it to make a project first and to learn how it work. It's a personal challenge. I looking for answer to my problem.

Comment

Ok.

Let's get back to the original question, then.

Even if you are intent on going with pods and custom pipe, I'd start with going back to the OEM airbox for now, and do your carb adjustment to get the bike running. Yes, I know it's two extra steps, but it will give you a very good base from which to start tuning for your custom setup.

Tell us more about how the bike is running. Does it maintain an idle? If so, at what RPM. How does it sound? Is it struggling to stay running? Do the RPMs race? Does it struggle to start?

Have you bench synched the carburetors? That is, are all of the butterfly valves open the same, small amount when the throttle is closed?

I know there is a great thread about adjusting carburetors complete with pictures, but I don't have the time to look right now...
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

On some Pods the rubber shoulder inside that butts up against the back of the carb can stick out far enough to block the air jet and the big air intake hole that moves the slides. You can notch out the shoulder so they are not blocked. I would check for that. I saw that on youtube Ichibon Moto. The guy is a joker but the basic info is correct. He's more serious on Hackaweek site.
                            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                            Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Yes, I will put the OEM filter first. It's a good idea. Do I have a sync carb tool to do this job? And how can I check the air/fuel screw are good? With the answer of the throttle? Thank you for your answer, I'm a little bit noob..

Comment

Working...
                              X