No announcement yet.

GS650 carb adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the link that Tom posted it will have the answers on the mixtures.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If the carburetors are not on the bike, you can put them on the workbench and do a visual synchronization of the throttle openings. Many will use small objects to gauge the opening, I prefer to not stick anything in there and just look through the carb, observing the sliver of light around the edge of the throttle butterfly. Slowly open and close the throttle with the idle speed adjuster, you will be able to see which carb opens or closes first. Adjust them so they all open and close at the same time. That will get them close enough for the bike to start and run. Yes, you will need gauges eventually, but the bench sync will get it going.

When you have the bike running decently and have passed your inspection, please re-evaluate why you think you "need" pod filters. Especially the ones in the picture. The 650 is a wonderful little rocket as-is. I don't know how much power might be added (if any) by installing pods, but the effort and expense to get to that point must certainly be considered.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't install Pod for add power. I install it for delete the big oem air box. In the futur, I will relocate the battery and remove all thing not necessairy on the bike. And there is a big advantage of the pod, it take about 2min to remove the carb assembly.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Can someone post the link for bench syncing please?

found it..
          Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2016, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedK9 View Post
            And there is a big advantage of the pod, it take about 2min to remove the carb assembly.
            How often do you anticipate removing the carbs? When the bike is ridden regularly enough to get fresh gas, and if it's stored properly during the winter, you should not need to remove the carbs more than once every ten years or so. Putting up with ten years of frustration of pods is not worth the three minutes saved.

Yes, three minutes, in my case. The larger shafties can have their carbs removed in about 5 minutes. I believe your 650 will take a little bit longer, but still should not need to have them removed very often.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X