GS1000 Petcock 1978 rebuild help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Petcock 1978 rebuild help please

Whilst attempting to rebuild a petcock, I discovered a "needle" type piece which fell out of position before I knew anything of it. Now, I dont know what it is or the correct position/direction to refit it. In the photo I have positioned it where I assume it has fallen from, but my assumption my be incorrect. If anybody can advise where it goes, which way around it goes, if it looks broken etc etc.....it will be greatly appreciated.
    A Petcock.jpg

I have not seen a pin (needle) like that in any petcock I have ever had open.

Good luck with the rebuild, though. After watching similar threads for the past 10 years or so, the success rate on a rebuild is about 10%. Might be better, quicker, easier to just get a new petcock so you don't have to worry about it for another 20-25 years or so.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or turn it into a manual petcock and be done with it.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for your replies... OK, so I have the impression that this "needle" does not belong in the petcock.... In which case, can anybody advise me what this hole is that goes from the inside of the petcock to the outside. Because I have fuel leaking out of this hole?
        Is something supposed to be in this hole?
        Thank you,
        Hole.jpg

Comment

This is the other side of the petcock/hole... where the fuel is leaking from!
          petcock hole.jpg

Comment

It's a vent so the diaphragm can move, if the diaphragm leaks it turns into a path for fuel to go out. That's the little hole you have to block when you make it into a manual petcock.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Aha, I see. So its fine as is, nothing to worry about..... Thank you buddy. now lets see if my petcock repair kit works!
              13255924_10153782672117525_6900294726428431836_n.jpg

Comment

Nice bike Pete!Thanks for this thread,I think I just found out what's wrong with my petcock.Don't think I have that piece in it.Means the rebuild kit on it's way won't do a thing.Steve the 78-9 petcocks are pricey,the list is over $300 USD.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  Steve the 78-9 petcocks are pricey,the list is over $300 USD.
                  I don't know if the hose orientation is correct, but here is one offered for $100.

PETCOCK

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                    Nice bike Pete!Thanks for this thread,I think I just found out what's wrong with my petcock.Don't think I have that piece in it.Means the rebuild kit on it's way won't do a thing.Steve the 78-9 petcocks are pricey,the list is over $300 USD.
                    Hi, Im now of the opinion that that "needle" piece may not be part of the petcock. Even though I did find it in the petcock, Im beginning to think that because the filter gauze was not attached petcock/tank, that the "needle" somehow found its way in via the petrol tank. So I advise at this moment dont be concerned too much if you do not have this part. I think it may very well be red hearing!
                    Anyhow, Im putting my petcock back together (without the needle) this afternoon, or over the weekend, so Ill update you if all works well, or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I don't know if the hose orientation is correct, but here is one offered for $100.

PETCOCK

This is the correct 78-9 tap http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Genuine-S...dW7LyY&vxp=mtr with some extra fuel line the one you linked will indeed work.The 90 degree out the back nipple of the 44300-44011 is so nice to hook up I really want to keep it.
                      Pete,I don't know it sure looks like it belongsPlease keep us(and especially me) informed.

Comment

I tried to rebuild it again, without the "needle", but the petcock is still dripping fuel from the "on" position. Im gonna strip it down once again and take a slower more detailed look this tme, it surely cant be too hard to find the problem. This time Im gonna stretch that little spring, to see if that helps. I also found a helpful PDF detailing how to rebuild a petcock, its not the exact same petcock, but it details all the same parts so its a worthwhile read/guide. Ill try another rebuild later today and update anybody interested.

Comment

Success.... I stripped the petcock down once again and adjusted two things. Firstly, I stretched the spring a little bit making it perhaps about 0.5cm longer. Secondly, I discovered that the "tiny hole" in the new rubber diaphragm, when is situ, after I insert the 4 screws to see if it lined up, was not lining up perfectly with the other "tiny hole" of the internal part. So I snipped a tiny tiny piece of rubber off, making that rubber diaphragm "tiny hole" just a fraction larger (about 1.0 mm). I cant be sure which of them, if any, was the cause... but the petcock is not leaking/dripping now at all. So that "needle thing" that was in my petcock, it seems is NOT part of the petcock.

One thing, if like me, you have removed the petrol tank as its easier to do the petcock repairs this way. Be aware that when you put the petcock back onto the tank, and fuel slops around inside the tank... there will be some petrol drips at first through the petcock it seems. But bear with it, let the excess drops drip away for a while and within a minute or two you will hopefully notice that the fuel drips no more!
                          Thank you for every bodies input, it would not have doable without!
                          petcock.jpg

Comment

Because I was curious, I opened 3 of my GS petcocks and while I don't have anything "exactly" like that I have similar restrictors(?) In the vacuum ports of all of them. If the other side has a hole with a rubber bit with a hole inside it, the pointy end goes down in the vacuum port.

It would suck to blow out your new diaphragm and have issues because now your sucking fuel down the vacuum line. All because of a strong or violent vacuum pulse due to no restriction.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Whterabbit, thanks very much for your positing reply, which Im VERY interested to learn a bit more about please. id appreciate very much if you can guide me some more...

Mostly Im keen to learn... What does your "similar restricitor" look like.. do you have a photo you could please post?
                              Also, are you saying you think my "needle" is a correct piece of my petcock, and if so, should it be loose or attached somewhere/somehow?

Only one side of my rubber diaphragm has a hole, but the piece that sandwiches between the two rubber diaphragms does have a whole all the way through it. Does this sound correct to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X